Multitracking w/o a Computer

m98ter

Hey guys, I'm completely new to all this so I guess I'm in the correct forum....so here goes. I've did a little multitracking in my time with some friends on an old porta studio where we did the old tried and true casette recording, mixing, mastering, using the stereo out jacks to a crappy dual casette recorder leaving us with a finished casette our product in a low quality form. Now I'm ready to move on to something a little more advanced (and a little better sounding even though I'm not looking for anything close to pro quality), and I have no idea what to look at. I know from reading around (pretty much this entire site) that my biggest drawback will be my lack of a computer, considering that I really *think* that I want to buy an 8 track digital multitrack. So I guess my question is, how can I end up with that same style analog crappy sounding casette in CD form with my digital multitrack w/o using a computer to transfer tracks/mixdown/master and so on. I've been heavily considering buying a multitrack with a built in cdr drive (such as the VF80 or Tascam 788 with burner). My only question though, is whether or not this is going to leave me with the same type of finished product as my old analog machine (seems like i've read that you only get a song per cd)? I had been considering a Fostex MR8 for some time as well, and then adding an Audio Cd recorder to it with the stero out jacks and recording that way, but it seems from what ive read that its best suited for computer recording. Really, I have no idea what im talking about, and I just hope someone manages to get my question out of this long winded post.

I got some pretty good sounding demos from an old fostex 4 track way back.

You won't get the same "crappy sounding" recordings because there's no quality loss bouncing digital tracks like there is with tape (or wax cylinder).

I almost went the digital multitrack route myself only because i was familiar with the 4 track setup. I went computer based instead. For the same price as a high end 16 track digital machine you could build yourself a computer based DAW that will run 48 tracks and give you far more editing capabilities than your stand alone multitracker.

Hang out some more and read lots, I did and I don't regret it.

Alec.

Its that four track familiarity thats pushing me to a digital multitrack, well that and a lack of cash. Also, I've played with some friends computer software, and although it may have more bells and whistles, I just don't like the feel of it. To me, doing everything with a mouse kinda takes all the fun out of playing with the sliders and such. To ME and ME alone maybe, I just like having everything in front of me in button form rather than scrolling through menus.

I agree that you will probably spend less if you go with the computer based DAW. If its sliders and knobs you need then in addition to the DAW get yourself a mixer board to route all your channels through. Also, keep that cassette recorder around for an import/export routine. You may be wanting some of that ole tape warmth back in a song someday. If cash is strapping you at the moment, spend your time reading and learning. Odds are that will improve your sound more than buying some piece of equipment right off. G/L

I know the computer is the route thats going to give the best results.......but I will not buy one right now. Its really just not my cup of tea. I'm by no means looking for something amazing, just a machine that will let me have that same ease as a casette porta in a digital form that will leave me with a finished cd. I like to record outside, at friends houses, and on site, so something i can throw in a bookbag is really what im after. I have no doubt if i saved more cash I would end up with better equipment, but at the current time I really don't want better equipment. Just something that will suffice for my needs until I can buy something better. I really don't mind buying something and buying the exact same thing but better in two years after I figure out I've outgrown it. Its like a car in my mind, you'll never learn to drive if save up for a lexus and read a car forum, when you could be driving a clunker for the time being while saving for the new machine.

Somehow you've managed to make the question "what's a good digital multitracker with built in CD burner" into a philosophical issue.

There's nothing wrong with not using a computer and you'll get better advice with a more direct question. I'd help but I'm not familliar with the current units.

The main thing you will have to consider is how many mic preamps do they have and how many tracks do you need to record at once. Many of the cheapies only give you 2 preamps and 2 channels at once. If you want to record a band at once on several tracks you will need at least 8 ch of preamps and recording.

whilst i can't understand why you wouldn't get a computer for less money and have a mixer which provides the full 'realism' (although how pushing and turning resistors and potentiometers is more real than changing binary parameters on a GUI OS I'll never know) i can say that there are some perfectly acceptable digital four-tracks out there. have you got a minidisc player? if you do, you can get a hard disk recorder without CDR and put your mixes on MD to try them out on various stereos etc. then when you're done, take the stuff to a friend's and dump it onto CD.

the reason i say this is that CD-RW drives cost £25 now, but you'll pay something like £100 extra for one in a standalone recorder.

the reason i say this is that CD-RW drives cost £25 now, but you'll pay something like £100 extra for one in a standalone recorder. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is true but I've just fitted a lite-on CR RW bought off eBay for £25 into my Zoom MRS 1266 and it works fine.

I have a similar attitude to the way I'd like my recordings to sound but you have to accept that new multitrack recorders with hard disks and D/A, A/D converters are no different from computer recording from a sound point of view. It's still nice to be twiddlling the knobs and adjusting the faders by hand though.

The 1266 might be a bit bulky for your needs but you can record 6 tracks at once and it's one of the cheapest hard disk recorders out there. As TexRoadkill says on a lot of them you can only record two tracks at once.

I'm not a fan of the hard sound of digital recording myself so I use a valve preamp for vocals and acoustic guitar and I'm looking for a compressor which at least replicates the old valve sound for final mix processing.

Hope this helps

that's true but if you buy a recorder then put a CD-R in then TADAA!! you've voided your warranty. i'd be wanting to hang onto it if i was using zoom stuff....

1 year warranty? If you're buying the kit brand new then fair enough but it sounds to me that for M98ter money's an issue (as it is for a lot of us) so buying second hand makes warranty issues irrelevant. I no Zoom stuff's crap but it's all some of us can afford.

chill out mate! if you're buying 2nds then of course put a cdr in for £25 or less.

as for money being an issue....i've been at uni for ONE term and i'm £2500 in debt already. believe me, i'm exceptionally careful with my spending. that's why i choose no longer to buy stuff like zoom. i got a couple of multi-fx for my guitars years ago but when i realised that a £40 blues driver pedal added more to my sound than all their effects put together i started buying little and better.

i expect your zoom recorder is good for what it is and that you bought carefully. i'd still like a standalone recorder for taping 'in situ'.

Sorry bud, I didn't mean to get eggy but there are just loads of gear slags on this forum, lots of nice people too of course
Believe it or not i lug my Zoom over to a friends house to record his drums and then lug it back home to mix it together with all the other stuff so it is kind of portable. I agree about zoom guitar effects but I'm a musician before I'm an engineer or producer so I'm really fussy about guitars, amps and stomp boxes but not so fussy about recording stuff. You seem to have a view of zoom stuff which is based on the guitar effects which are horrible so I can understand.
I basically bought the Zoom Recorder because It has everything if you don't know much. Now I'm learning more about production and my ears are getting fussier I've started to buy outboard processors and I now use the zoom just as something to record onto and mix stuff down before burning to CD.

How do you record on a budget then?

well i have a decent enough pc anyways so i bought a soundcard for £170 2 years ago. mostly have used my live mics but now have two condensers, and play through a cheap behringer mixer for preamps. got a copy of cubase VST on an education licence while i was at school so it only cost £200!

i save and do the best i can with what i can. like you, i'm a musician first.

currently i'd like to get some decent headphones and eventually some proper monitors. but that's serious money!

Back