multitracker AND computer

ohmeohmy

what are the benefits of using a mutlitrack machine (Roland VS880ex) with a computer (running cakewalk sonar producer)?

is the extra cost justified with the extra abilities or should i just stay with using one or the other?

and how would i hook up so i can use both to benefit me, rather than just complicate things?

ohmeohmy-

I can't speak to the Roland VS880EX, but I can tell you that having a dual setup, to my mind is the best of both worlds.

Currently, I have a Yamaha AW2816, but I'm planning on replacing it with an Akai DPS24 very soon. In this scenario I will be able to do a lot of different things. First, because the DPS24 has a wonderful hardware interface with moving faders I will be able to use it to track and mix. The control surface can be set up to control SONAR and softsynths if I wish. Where things get really interesting though is that I will be able to freely dump tracks to and from SONAR and also what might be the coolest application is that it is actually possible to send tracks via ADAT to the computer for processing with VST and DX effects IN REAL TIME!!! This will work with most devices that can send and receive tracks digitally. All you need is a fast computer and a hosting device for your VST effects. A lot of the DPS24 guys use CONSOLE which is actually a pretty cool little program even if you don't use it for this kind of application.

In addition to the above I'll also be able to use work on tracks in either the DPS or SONAR or other applications. This really amounts to an unheard of amount of freedom for the home recordist.

Now the VS880EX doesn't have as broad a feature set. For instance, you won't be able to transfer more than 2 tracks at a time digitally. I don't know how extensive its MIDI capabilities are either so how many of the above things you'll be able to do with it, I'm not sure.

My guess is that with the VS880EX the advantages of having both methods will be somewhat limited, but though it will be a little harder to do, it will offer you more options when it comes to manipulating your audio.

Ted

Sort of adding to what ohmeohmy said...

In my case, I have a Roland 2480 and a computer; linked digitally.

I use the Roland for real time multitracking and mixdown. I'm "old school" and I'm more comfortable with real faders and knobs, etc.
I use the computer for editing and loop creation (Sound Forge and ACID). Don't get me wrong... I like my 2480, but editing and loop creation are a lot easier to do on the computer.
In your case, you have multitracking capabilities on both units, so if you think about it, you have more tracks than someone like me. Perhaps you could work with that mindset?

As for linking the units, I know the 880EX has optical ins and outs, so do it digitally.

And speaking of your 880EX, I still have mine, and I use it for its effects.
Selling it just wasn't worth it. They're only going for $200 to $300 dollars nowadays, so you might be better off keeping it, or selling it to buy something for your studio or computer or both.

The bottom line here is...

1. Whatever's been working best for you is gonna work best for you. Don't let hype, marketing, or other people influence you. It's YOUR setup.

2. Having something and not using it a lot is always better than needing it and not having it. Murphy's Law clearly states that one week after you get rid of something, you'll suddenly need it. :o

actually, i dont own a 880ex yet. im looking into to getting one though. i used one to record a band when they came out a while ago, and liked it. if anyone knows of any other comparable units though, im open for suggestions.

ohmeohmy said:
actually, i dont own a 880ex yet. im looking into to getting one though. i used one to record a band when they came out a while ago, and liked it. if anyone knows of any other comparable units though, im open for suggestions.

Make me an offer on my AW2816! ;)

Personally, I just don't like Roland gear. I haven't ever bought anything of theirs (and I've bought a lot of it over the years) that hasn't frustrated me on some level. Whether it's the terrible documentation or the lack of some simple, but indispensible feature, there always seems to be something about their products that just pisses me off.

I've made a commitment to not purchase anymore of their gear for this reason, but I'm sure I'll get tempted again and regret it later.

Roland is like a restaurant you eat at and don't like for one reason or another, bad service, cold food. Then time passes and you think "I haven't been there in a while. Why not?" So you go back and you get bad service and cold food again and you think, "Damn! Why did I go back there? NEVER AGAIN!"

You know, like Sizzler! :p

Ted

well right now i dont have any money, or i might actually make that offer. i'm trying to figure out what pieces of equipment i need or want and choose the ones i want now. then im going to put them in a order i want to get them and then save up and start going down the list. im hoping by the time i save up for some of the things it will cost less than i planned, and ill be able to save some money.

or ill just see that the new thing is better and want that. stupid technology.

ohmeohmy said:
well right now i dont have any money, or i might actually make that offer. i'm trying to figure out what pieces of equipment i need or want and choose the ones i want now. then im going to put them in a order i want to get them and then save up and start going down the list. im hoping by the time i save up for some of the things it will cost less than i planned, and ill be able to save some money.

or ill just see that the new thing is better and want that. stupid technology.

I hear that!

Personally, I seldom buy any hardware until it's near the end of its life. Of course, it's tempting to buy into all the hype of new technology, but things that were cutting edge a couple of months ago are still viable even if there's something newer replacing them. And, if you do your homework, frequently, you can get great deals on products that turn out to be classics later on!

Ted

Hey Ted, you said something about how the DPS24 allows you to send tracks to a computer and process them in real time. Do you know any units with not as many tracks that do the same thing?

My understanding is that this will work, though how well I can't say, with any unit that allows you to transfer tracks digitally in and out of the machine.

Some of the users on the DPS24 forum got the idea that it might be possible to do this in real time if the latency wasn't too bad. They didn't really know if it would work but they gave it a try. Amazingly, using the simple little Console app they found that it DID work pretty well with many VSTs and DXs. Because it was such a monster idea, they named it Frankenstein and put up a web page explaining it HERE.

Now you don't have to use Console necessarily, but it's cheap, easy to use and works well, plus you have the help of others who are already doing it.

As I've said before, this is probably the killer thing about the DPS24 for me. See, this idea isn't something Akai came up with. This is from the users. It's that you have a community of really smart, helpful guys out there who came up with this idea and shared it with everyone and you have the people at Akai who, up until a few days ago even linked to this on their site. If you look at the user forum, you'll see that Sean from Akai contributes and that they truly listen to the users in implementing upgrades.

For instance, I don't know of any other unit where you can replace the CD-ROM with removable hard drives which many of the guys have done. My AW2816 is very particular about what drives you can use and it's a hassle to change them. Akai saw that a lot of people wanted this option so they made it possible for the unit to work with any IDE drive.

This kind of support is the same reason why I've stayed with Cakewalk all these years. They really try to listen to what people want.

Ted

thats cool. maybe ill start looking into AKai products rather than other things. ive been using cakewalk for a while now, just with a one input soundcard and a few other programs (fruityloops, audiomulch) and i like it, but i want to be able to move a recorder around when i go places.

i know i saw a BBS for akai dps products some where on this BBS but i can't find it again. do you know what that link is?

ohmeohmy said:
i know i saw a BBS for akai dps products some where on this BBS but i can't find it again. do you know what that link is?

Sure!

Akai's site can be found HERE They're changing their site, but click on the "download center" link to access all the information.

The AKAI DPS24 users forum is HERE. Well worth joining if you're serious about the DPS24. They're really good guys in there.

Ted

Back