multitrack without built-in mixer?

Dire Wolf

I have heard that the mixers in multitrackers aren't so good compared to a dedicated mixer. I am considering the Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer. Can I buy an affordable (~$400) multitracker without the built-in mixer? Thanks! DW

Multitracks are meant for convenience and ease of use, not the ultimate in sound quality. Why use an expensive mixer and put the result on cassette or compressed minidisc anyway?

If you're after the ultimate bang for the buck, call 555-1234 and ask for...no wait, wrong forum. Your best all-around value for the money as a top-notch recording machine is a good computer-based system, period.

If your multitrack deck has individual outputs for each track, you can improve your sound and routing options during mixdown. I have a digital multitrack unit, but the built in mixer is limited. (Only 2 bands of EQ and 2 effects sends). It is CD Quality uncompressed digital. So I benefit greatly by using an outboard Mixer. I have 6 effects sends, solo capability,24 tracks to split tracks and make mono signals "stereo like" 4 Bands of EQ etc.....

So if you already have the deck.... a mixer couldn't hurt. Especially if you can use it if you add a new deck. Just don't waste money if it could be used to upgrade to a better recording device, or computer as Dragon has recomended.

Dom Franco

Just a clarification to what I posted above...

What I meant was that if you were planning to design your studio around having a mixer first (which is not a half bad idea in any case) then the best thing to stick "in back of it" as a dedicated recording device would be a computer, in the long run, not a $400 4-track.

BTW, in ancient times (hundreds of years before the dawn of history), TASCAM or TEAC made an 8-track cassette (called the 238 I believe), which fit in a rack and needed a mixer to do anything useful...basically a recording engine. It's a bit too much to ask for manufacturers to do the same thing now with a hard disk recorder or whatever though.

Back