Multitrack to computer??? HELP!

Cobra67

OK I know that this topic has probably been covered a bazillion times but bear with me....

I'm wanting to record from a multitracker to computer. I really don't need to edit tracks or anything. Basically I'm doing the equivalent of running a tape player. But when I hook it into my LINE IN and play, it sounds horribly distorted through my computer speakers. That's even with the volume on low on both consoles. My basic goal is to create the song into WAV files and eventually burn onto CD (via Easy CD Creator(Spin Doctor). But my problem is just the crappy quality of sound. HELP! (PS. I have a SB 64D PCI soundcard)

No it's definitely the LINE IN. I've tried it on two computers and the same result-distorted sound.

Did you....

goto START

then SETTINGS

then CONTROL PANEL

then MULTIMEDIA

make sure your RECORDING VOLUME is not too high.

THEN,

goto START

then PROGRAMS

then ACCESSORIES

then VOLUME CONTROL

then OPTIONS

then PROPERTIES

then "check mark" RECORDING

press OK

then "check mark" LINE IN

and adjust the VOLUME

That might help, if not post us back.

PEACE :)

SPIN

Yeah I double-checked all those things but it is still coming out distorted. Is it possible we recorded at too high of a volume? I did mix down to a regular cassette and it sounded OK. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also I noticed that the music is only coming out of one speaker now! All the balances are OK. ARGHHH!

Yes it's definitely a stereo plug. 2 red/white phono plugs into a 1/8 . I know I have the right plug (actually I learned which plug to get my visiting this site)--SHAMELESS PLUG :) (((get it? --->PLUG!))) OK I just had to amuse myself before getting too pissed off at the recording process. I did have a bit of a breakthrough though. I lowered the volume faders on my multitrack and it took away some distortion but it is still kind of low quality.

Back