Multiple sound cards

Lee123

Hey all
I am using Cubase SX 1.6 (I think...lol) with an Echo Layla24. I just added an E-MU 0404 which gives me an extra two inputs. The only problem is, I am unable to use both cards at the same time.....Am I missing something...
How do I enable both cards within Cubase?
Thanks for any help.
Lee.

Last edited:
I've heard of multiple soundcards of different brands being used when using WDM drivers. I think ASIO drivers are only one or the other propositions (but I also come from Cakewalk land where ASIO is a very recent thing.)

The ASIO spec simply doesn't allow more than one ASIO driver. For multiple card ASIO the way to go is to pick a brand whose ASIO driver supports more than one of their cards.

Asio4all is capable of including different cards, so you get them all under the one ASIO driver, but people who've tried it don't report much joy. I suspect getting them running with the same buffer size is essential.

A common workaround is to change Cubase to the ASIO DirectSound full-duplex driver. This isn't actually ASIO, it's just that Steinberg provide a little driver that mates Cubases' ASIO to the standard Windows driver - so expect latency of 30 to 40ms, input monitoring in Cubase will be unusable at that.

Although the Directsound driver does support different cards, you'll want to try to synchronise them so they run on the exact same sample-rate clock. If the E-mu card can be setup (in the patchmix I suppose) to sync to external clock at it's s/pdif input, then connect the Echo s/pdif output to this. The E-mu is then slaved to the Echo.

It's also theorectically possible to put multiple transmissions in your car to run your wheels.

Is it a good idea?? No.

Get a card with multiple inputs so you can spend your time recording rather than trying to make something kludgy work....

TimOBrien said:
It's also theorectically possible to put multiple transmissions in your car to run your wheels.

Is it a good idea?? No.

Get a card with multiple inputs so you can spend your time recording rather than trying to make something kludgy work....

Have one guy running the trannies and one guy steering and accellerating... that sounds like an awesome idea! :D

Back