Multiple Sound Cards and Cubase

bsutton

Been working with Cubase, Hammerfall 9852, and ADAT. I love it except that I have no output for monitoring on the Hammerfall card.

Is there any way to make Cubase VST use multiple cards when one card is using the card-specific ASIO drivers? I have a Turtle Beach card I'd like to use for monitoring, but if I need a card with ASIO drivers I have one available.

Failing this, is there a good cheap S/PDIF or ADAT I/O box to receive signals and produce a single stereo track?

I'll be getting the new TASCAM digital board when it comes out and that will solve the problem but I'd like something for the time being.

Hi, It’s not possible to use different ASIO devices at the same time in VST. You might consider one of RME’s internal DA (or AD) converter cards. Look at www.rme-audio.com

They made them for their DIGI96 series, but I think they also work with the Hammerfall.

Good luck

Sounds like we have similar setups. I've been using the Midiman Flying Cow converter box from the SPDIF I/O on my Hammerfall for the past few weeks. Previously, I used an Audiophile 2496 which I just drove from the SPDIF and used for its converters and MIDI interface only: Cubase didn't talk to it for audio data. However, I found its noise performance to be unacceptable- I've posted about that elsewhere.

Anyway, the Cow and the Audiophile are about the same price: $150-160. The Cow seems to offer a decent set of 24-bit converters at sbout the lowest price point at the moment. Wish I'd bought the standalone converter box first- but you have to learn this stuff the hard way, it seems.

I bought the DIGI96PST instead of the Hammerfall. It’s latency is slightly higher (23ms) but it is rock solid under VST just as the Hammerfall

The reason I bought it was the build in converters. It has a stereo pair of AD/DA 9624 converters of extremely high quality. For the rest is offers 1 ADTA optical in/out and SPDIF in/out

The only drawback is that you can’t use various inputs at the same time like the Hammerfall, but at least it gave me a high quality card with a build in analog in/out.

I bought their AD 8 channel 24bit expansion card, and I must say that I’m very satisfied with it.

I’m considering buying an other DIGI96, so that I can use an extra SPDIF in/out for outboard effect processing. You can pile up various DIGI96’s using the same ASIO driver.

Back