Multiple raw .wav Files/Track in Cubase 8.0

EarthyEugene

I'm using a Macbook Pro with Cubase 8.0 and encountering a odd issue. Hoping some somebody has a suggestion before I have to go the root of trying to contact somebody at Steinberg, which isn't an easy process.

If I record a file called Guitar1, there is a root .wav file created on my computer named Guitar1_01 that the audio goes into. In addition, a "ghost" file, for lack of a better term, is created which is blank. If I stop my recording to give it another take at any point under the same file name, the new audio goes into the Guitar1_02 folder, and a new "ghost" file called Guitar1_03 is created, which is where my next take will go. In the end, if I do 10 takes to complete a single audio track in Cubase, I will have 10 raw .wav tracks on my computer for that one track.

I don't understand why my multiple takes on a single audio file in Cubase are being broken into multiple raw .wav files on my computer. My two bandmates are not having this issue (one on a Mac and one of a PC) and we cannot figure out any difference in our Cubase settings. They can do as many takes as they want and it all gets collected on the same raw .wav file.

The issue we are encountering is that my bandmate with a Mac can read the song files I send, even with this happening, but the one with a PC cannot access the audio files. I'm not sure if this a Mac or Cubase setting issue at this point.

Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

With Cubase, and most daws that I know, each time you hit record, it creates a different file. It isn't like tape, where when you punch in, it records over what you already recorded. This is a good thing because it allows you to adit and move the punch and cross-fade it how ever you like

Any other difference you notice is simply the difference between the way mac and pc work, as far as the file structure goes.

Multiple files for multiple takes is how every DAW I've ever used has worked. Does everybody have the same version of Cubase? Cubase on PCs may use a different directory structure. It may be as simple as telling Cubase what folder to look in for the files.

Thanks for the fast replies! And everybody has the same version of Cubase. I'm starting to think it is a directory issue as well.

For perspective, I previously used an older version of Sony Acid on a PC, and every time I recorded a track it would give a prompt to save the file when you stopped. If you didn't save, there was no file left on your computer. Good to know what I'm doing isn't abnormal.

Just have to figure out why the buddy with a PC can't read the files I'm doing on my Mac.

I use Sony Vegas and one of the things I like is the option to keep or delete files after a pass. You can delete the whole batch (if you're recording a bunch of inputs) or just certain ones.

Sounds similar the Sony Acid I was using.

I'll have to research if Cubase has that option. If not, seems like things are going to get messy in terms of endless, useless file creation when I have my drummer plugged into 7 mics and want to pass on a take (or multiple passes).

Thanks again for the feedback...very much appreciated.

In Pro Tools there's a way to stop recording without saving it, something with the period key, but you can't stop and think about it before deleting the take.

If you delete the audio from the session, you can go into the pool and delete any audio that isn't part of the session. I'm not in front of it right now and I can't remember exactly what it is called.

WARNING! You must make sure that each song is in a separate folder if you use this function. What it does is it goes to the audio folder for that session and deletes all the audio that isn't being used in that session. So, if you have all the sessions for your songs in one folder, you will delete everything but the song you have open.

The proper, and safest, way to set up a session is to have a separate folder for each song, which cubase will create the three folders it uses inside that song folder.

The reason the Mac might be adding the next file before you hit record, there is a function in preferences that makes cubase record any armed track all the time. Then it saves 10 seconds before you hit record, so you don't have to worry about missed punches. You simply drag left to reveal the audio.

It comes in very handy. I've never looked in the directory on the pcm to see if I can see the next audio file, like your mac does. I doubt windows let's you see something that isn't finalized yet.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm slowly closing the gap in what's happening on my end that is normal and how to better manage the files being created.

Very helpful all around! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

P.S.- I've been lurking this forum from some time and have found some much info without post much. I hope those who host this site and those who take the time to respond regularly know they are really providing a valuable resource for many people like me wading through the home recording process.

Back