Multiple headphone jack

Monkeyspunk

I have a situation where I can only monitor my sound through headphones. I am looking for multiple headphone patch gear or rack or anything that look allow four or more headphones to be used from a mixer headphone or outs and NOT reduce the signal or cut off stereo.

Thanx
MS

Try an Oz Audio HM-6. This little puppy is bar nothing else the best headphone mixer/amp I have ever seen anywhere. Only about $250 too, so nothing that is going to break the bank. Trust me that you can use either a stereo output from any mixing device, or a headphone output also to its inputs. The amp built in supply some unreal amount of power. Enough in fact to quite thouroughly blow out most any set of headphone (don't ask how I know this.... :( )

Good luck.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Hey Spunkey-Monkey:

I have been using a small Peavey Headphone box for many years. It has 4 inputs; don't need any more for my small in-house studio. Works fine; it has a push/me button for stereo or mono.

I tried a newer unit about three months ago but it did all kinds of weird things like left/phone right phone, no good stereo, etc. So I sent it back. Make sure you can "send it back" before you buy or rent one and try it. The Peavey ran about 65 dollars from a local Music store.

You should get some monitor speakers to use to balance your final cut before you mix down. What you hear inside of good headphones is a nice environment but what you hear isn't exactly what comes out on the mix. With monitors, you can set all of the tweaks to your pleaure before you mix. Then, you can rewind, change reverb rooms and tweak and mix again. Sometimes for a vocal client, I will do about 8 mixes with different reverb settings, hi/low EQ, etc. It does take time but the results are usually pretty good.

Happy listening.
Green Hornet

Still sounds like the OZ Audio unit is your best bet.

Consider, you can have 6 headphones mixes, each can "mix" there headphones to there liking using the stereo input along with the 4 auxillary inputs. So each person can add any of the aux inputs to there own mix. You would send a stereo mix the the stereo input, and use aux sends from your console to supply the 4 aux inputs. Nice. Really no other unit out there that can do this.

I once even mixed a band live that used this unit for there in-ear monitors on stage. Very nice because I only have to send a hot signal to the aux inputs and they can mix there own monitors from this. In the studio it is a dream because I have many other things to do in a session than to be turning up mixes for the talent.

You can bank on the quality of this unit also. The amps are extremely clean and powerful. I have drop this unit several times with no bad results. The company that makes it started out making products for several big named companies with reputations for using only the best parts in there gear. So, they built a headphone mixer/amp that is as good or better than ANYTHING you can buy. This box is a great investment because you will probably never have to buy another headphone amp again. Everything is metal! The pots are smooth and sturdy.

Good luck.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Back