multiple channel compressor recommendation?

ssseals

I'm finishing my basement studio and plan on finally recording a drum kit for my demos soon. I'm using ADAT and Studio 32 board.

What kind of multiple channel compressor would you recommend for the drum kit. I'm interested in multi-channel so I can run all the drums through it (probably only 4 tracks) and use my other comp for bass or acoustic guitar live with the drums.

There's a Behringer 4 channel (MDX4400) and 2 ch (MDX1400), obviously I'm looking cheap. Any good, or just cheap? Thanks guys.

as far as "just cheap", you could pick up an Alesis 3630 for about 60 bucks on ebay :) (I was just kidding - the 3630 is worthless for recording - except for maybe a nice flat surface to hold your beer).

If I understand your situation correctly, I'd consider tracking without compression, and do the compressing afterwards. That way you don't need to spend a dime, plus you've got more time & control to get it the way you want it. It'll cost you an extra track to print to while you're working on it, but it might be worth looking into.

those Behringer units are great for limiting and light compression, but gets nasty when you get into higher ratios.......I have the AutoCom(1400).......

If I recall, Aphex has had a four channel compressor for a while. I don't remember the model number - check the Aphex website.

Presonus has the ACP88, which is 8 channels of compression and gating. If you are looking for a bargain , maybe you can find the ACP8 (earlier version) used at a good price.

Personally have not used the Aphex, but the Presonus is not bad for the price.

Multi-Chan Comps.............

A)Budget: Beh's MULTICOMM- 4 Chan comp @ $129

B)Mid Level- Presonus ACP88- 8 Chan comp @ $650

C)Upper Mids- DBX Quantum -4 Chan comp @ $1450

D)When Budget Cannot Exceed $25- Alesis 3630-2 Chan Comp
and U can have mine for a bucket of fried chicken and a pound of King Crab legs!

I'll second Littledog's suggestion of the PreSonus.

I have an ACP-8 and it is quite good for the $. You get 8 channels of comp/gates with soft/auto/linking and bypass options on each channel as well as all the usual adjustable parameters.

The only downside is that the power switch is mounted on the rear, which for rack mounting is a pain.............however, it can be fixed by installing a "slimline" micro "mains power switch on the front next to the 1st channel:) .

:cool:

You could try to get two MDX 2100 Composers (the older model). they're excellent for drums, and, unlike the multicom, they have gates, too. I bought two of those used for the equivalent of $70 each.

Back