Multiple Aardvark Q10 Units

thundercage

Hello,

Hopefully someone has used this configuration and can provide some answers for some questions. I currently have a single Q10 unit and have found it more than adequate for my purposes.

I was considering adding a second unit to record more simultaneous inputs. In particular, big drum kits use a lot of inputs, then a scratch guitar track to boot.

My question is this:
Each unit has a headphone out, which I typically run out to the live recording room to let people recording listen to for tracking. How would this be accomplished with multiple units? It sounds kind of messy once I started thinking about it.

I could possibly run the stereo monitor out from unit 1 to inputs on unit 2 and use the headphone out on unit 2. That's about the best way I figured would work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've also seen SPIDF mentioned when using multiple units, but I'm not that familiar with SPIDF.

Thanks

Last edited:
thundercape said:
Hello,
Each unit has a headphone out, which I typically run out to the live recording room to let people recording listen to for tracking. How would this be accomplished with multiple units? It sounds kind of messy once I started thinking about it.

Few ways to do it. You could dump the headphone outs into a small mixer and then mix them together.

You could also use some of those other outs on the back of your unit and set up the Aardvark routing software to send what you want, where you want it. The SW mixer and routing seems to be very under used and not very well understood. Actually pretty powerful stuff there.

thunderrump said:
I could possibly run the stereo monitor out from unit 1 to inputs on unit 2 and use the headphone out on unit 2. That's about the best way I figured would work. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

That would work pretty well. While I never tried that, it would actually be a pretty elegant way to do it.

Be warned, if you have any stability issues with your Q10 you could be in for more when you add a second unit. Some have reported nothing but smooth sailing, but the second unit was trouble for my particular set up.

Good luck.

Back