multichannel preamp for masterlink?

keygod

hey,folks i need a good multichannel preamp that i can run direct into the masterlink.I'm doing live recording using a jazz trio consisting of keyboards,electric bass and live drums.Any ideas how i can work this setup?

Um- a mixer? (;-)

Seriously- when I do live-to-2 recording with my Masterlink, I use my old Alesis Studio 32 for its preamps amd mix buss. I can seldom get away with just a pair for live recording, since there's always a need for spot mics with the type of music that I do. So any good mixer should do...

In the future, I'll be doing some very high-quality small-group vocal recording in a live venue, and for that I'll be doing MS miking with no spot mics- ideal for a simpler, cleaner signal path. I'm in the process of aquiring an Amek 9098 DMA to set that up. It's a very nice Neve-designed 1U dual preamp with the MS decoder matrix built in. At that point, I'll go directly to the Masterlink with no intervening board: a live rig that can be carried in one hand. I like that.

I have been using the preamps on the board of my Mackie 808S powered mixer. In fact, I just finished recording for a CD of our band using M-S micing with AT4033 and 4050 mics. I must say, the results are quite good. I have not used a high quality stand-alone preamp, so I have no basis for comparison. Next time, I might use two 4050's in a Blumlein array, so we can just sit in a circle around the mics. But for small groups in a semicircle, M-S is a very cool way to go. It gives a more natural stereo effect IMHO. Al

Back