multichannel mic pre

scottr

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mutli-channel (4 at least) mic pre? Would I be better off just getting a mixer? If so, can you recommend a decent inexpensive mixer?

Scott

Could you be more specific about what you consider inexpensive? A Sytek is considered a good inexpensive mic pre for $800 or so. But around that price, you could also buy four single channel pres like the VTB-1.

Whether it's better to buy a mixer depends on how much you need a mixer as well as preamps. A mixer usually would include multiple routing options (including inserts for interfacing with outboard processors) EQ, headphone preamp/jack, and panning. If you really need those functions right now, then a mixer might be better. But chances are a dedicated set of four preamps for the same price as a complete mixer would have better quality preamps (although that's not always true).

PreSonus Digimax LT. Eight excellent preamps. A much better investment than buying a mixer for it's preamps, but it may not fall into the catagory of "cheap".

You might consider a couple of M-Audio DMP3's at $200 a piece.

A friend of mine just won a new mixer off of ebay, so I'm buying his Tascam M-1508 for $150. What a steal! Now that's cheap. Anyone know anything about this mixer?

Scott

Back