multi-tracking

yurtpoh

im using PT11 with a simple DI interface for my guitar and midi keyboard. i use an amp emulator when i record (NI's Guitar Rig 6 to be specific). i was wondering, should i wait until i finish a song to bus all the mono DI tracked guitars, through the amp emulator, and into a new stereo track? or would it be safe to do it in sections to save CPU power? right now ive got two AUX channels; one for bass, and one for guitar. ive got a couple sections already tracked, but its only the DI sound of the guitars (the non-amplified clean guitar sound) that i run through the emulator for effects. when i play it back, it has to push both the bass and guitar through their own emulators (respectfully) to get the sound. i never run two guitars through the same emulator at the same time unless one is fading out/ending, and the other one is just coming in.. would it be better to bus all the individual riffs separately? or just leave them all alone for when i finish, and then bus the entire song in one go (non-overdubbed guitars all in one pass, and bass all in one separate pass)? i feel like im not wording this correctly.. basically, i record a verse on guitar (guitar tracking one) - just a simple rhythm. instead of going right into the chorus (or whatever is next in this hypothetical song lol), i stop recording for guitar one, and start a new track (guitar tracking two) JUST for the chorus. is it better to do it in sections like that, and line up the riffs AFTER it has been emulated? or should i just line them up (pre-emulator), and then do one swift pass to get them all on the same track/same sound/same level?

Hey!

When recording one guitar part you're saying you sometimes use several tracks. Ie. one for verses, one for choruses etc.
That's pretty common. You could edit the thing together into one track when you're finished.
If for some reason you can't, (long tails/fade outs/whatever) then keep them as separate tracks but send all of them to one aux with your chosen guitar sim on it.

Keep in mind that ProTools recording is non destructive. This means you can record a verse and stop.
Now to record the chorus you can just start rolling over the end of your previous take as a lead in.
Once done you can use the extend tool to remove blank starting space and restore the end of your verse.
This is generally what I do.

Now, you go to record a second guitar part. 99/100 times you're going to want different panning and a different sound from the sim, so do the same as above but with a new aux.

You can just bang an amp sim on every single track but there's no point eating up resources for the sake of it.

If you work as above then it means you can keep adding as many tracks (per part) as are necessary. Just route them to the appropriate bus each time.

I'd have the amp sims in place and live before you start recording. You need to know how it sounds as you're playing! :eek:

Keep in mind that ProTools recording is non destructive. This means you can record a verse and stop.
Now to record the chorus you can just start rolling over the end of your previous take as a lead in.
Once done you can use the extend tool to remove blank starting space and restore the end of your verse.
This is generally what I do.

i didnt think of that. thats a good idea too.. thanks for the reply, i guess ive been doing it the "right" way after all lol

Back