Multi-Track

GuitarSoloGuy

Hey everyone. I want to record a mostly acoustic record on a portable multitrack recorder, but I honestly don't know anything about them. In the 5 or so years that I have been recording I've only used computer based software. So I'm looking for some advice on some decent mult-track recorders? The reason I want to go this route is so I can record anywhere and with anyone. I figure that I'll do a lot of the mixing in my computer, as well as any overdubs that are needed.

Also, if anyone has some mic suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

I'm intrigued by this thread, because you always see multi track DAW owners asking about the switch to computer based, not the other way around. Personally I have always liked the all in one multitrack recorders and have not fully made the leap to computer based. I have an affinity for the Roland VS series myself. I currently use a VS 1824. I also have a BOSS br1600 but it just sits there usually. It depends on what you need - how many inputs need to be recording at once, portability etc. I had a VS 880 which is pretty dated now but very portable when i needed it to be. The VS 1824 on the other hand is not very portable. its much bigger and just doesnt lend itself to a quick pack and move to record elsewhere. Part of the reason why I picked up the BR 1600 is because it is smaller and would be better for portability, but i havent gotten much chance to use it that way. It also appears to have some rigidity assigning inputs to specific tracks which I don't like. You might be able to change this but I havent figured out how. the VS models give you lots of flexibility on assigning inputs to different tracks so you rarely need to change connections.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Jonesey: I've been wanting to get away from computer based recording for a quite a while. I feel like it gives me option anxiety! I want to be able to record without dealing with all the extra crap that computers offer so I feel like an all in one may be the way to go. The Roland VS series looks really cool, and I will definitely keep them in mind. I don't think that I would need more than 4 inputs at once, but I would gladly take more just to keep my options open. In terms of portabillity, I don't really need something that could be thrown into a backpack or anything like that. Just a setup that is portable enough for me to set up at a friends house fairly easily. However, I'm really open to anything. Thanks a lot for the info!

Grim: That looks pretty awesome! Especially for the price. Have you had any personal experience with it?

BassMan: That is really cool! I had no idea they made anything that small! How is the sound quality on it?

Is it generally acceptable to buy a multi-track recorder used off of ebay or would I be signifigantly better off buying everything new?
Has anyone used the Tascam 2488 Neo? It's gotten a lot of good user reviews on websites, but the reviewers are generally pretty vague at best.

Sound quality is pretty good. I just recently ordered an external Tascam condensor mic for it that uses the built in "plug-in power" feature. It's similar to phantom power and used in some micro size recorders.

It's handy cause I can throw it in my gig bag and, with a 1Gb Smart Card and AC adapter, I can get 8 hours record time from it.

if you do end up going the Roland VS route, go to the vs planet forums (google them). Lots of helpful info on the practical use of all kinds in the VS series and there is also a tutorial there on how to upload your VS files into Reaper so you can still have the computer editing option while the ease of an all in one.

As for the portability, I thought that was what you had in mind, but personally with my set up, the 1824 is staying put and not moving to a friend's house. the 880 or the BR 1600 would be my choices there.

And I bought my VS 1824 on ebay. No regrets at all but I might have just gotten lucky who knows. I bought the 1600 from a college kid who needed money and had overextended himself in buying one. In this economy, you can probably find a lot of deals like that!

BassMan: That's awesome, man! I was having regular jam sessions with a few friends earlier this year, and I really wish I had had a device like that at the time.

Jonesey: I will definitely check out the forum! Thanks a ton for all the info, man!

Grim: That looks pretty awesome! Especially for the price. Have you had any personal experience with it?
No, but over the last couple of years, I've heard lots of good stuff about it. I think Teysha Blue here uses one so it might be worth sending him a PM.
Is it generally acceptable to buy a multi-track recorder used off of ebay or would I be signifigantly better off buying everything new?
It can depend. I use an AKAI DPS 12i {it was an updated version of the 12, it doesn't use jaz disks} and I bought my initial unit used back in 2005 on ebay. It's always worked brilliantly. At the start of this year I bought a second unit, it was meant to be as a back up but I use it as much as the primary unit. I bought it in this second hand music and electrical equipment store in Hammersmith and like the primary unit, it's been superb. I used to be a proponent of new and only new but some units are no longer made so you can only buy some things used. You're always dealing with the risk of an unscrupulous seller, but I've never had any equipment bought used die on me in the 30 years I've been wheeling and dealing.

Has anyone used the Tascam 2488 Neo? It's gotten a lot of good user reviews on websites, but the reviewers are generally pretty vague at best.
Not the Neo, but RAMI here has been a long time 2488 user and in my opinion, his songs and mixes are wicked. He's moved in the opposite way to you, but the stuff he did/does on the 2488 is a stellar example of why standalone all in one units should always have their place in the home recording pantheon.

I've been using a Boss Br600 for recording, then (most recently) exporting the tracks to Reaper for mixdown.
The latest Boss small recorder is the 800, and it has lots of features, battery power, etc.

If you're going to be overdubbing in and mixing on the computer why not just start with the computer (if you've got a laptop that is) you can get interfaces such as the Tascam US1800 for around £250 which as 8 mic ins 2 line/di and 4 line ins. It'll work with Pro Tools 9 too.

mjb: The 800 looks like a really great unit! Thanks!

Dougal: I've been using computers for my entire recording career, and I just feel like I'm ready for a change. Perhaps, not a change I'll stick with, but I think it's worth attempting. I guess right now I just have my heart set on a multi-track haha. That interface sounds great though, and I'll definitely look into it. I'm currently using a cakewalk ua-25 that only has two inputs. Thanks, man!

NYMorningstar: I had no idea the Neo could be used as a live mixer! That is awesome! The Presonus Studiolive looks like a killer setup, but it's a little out of my price range haha. Thanks for the info!

We started out with the Boss BR600. Worked well for a while, until we got more serious. We were recording single track at a time. You can do 2 at a time max. Cheap on ebay, and has built in drums/bass as well.

About a year ago we got the Tascam 2488 Neo. Love it! 8 Simultaneous inputs. Basically record as a live band. We use electronic drums to get a basic track together. Mix down minus the drums, the record the acoustic drums over. Supposedly you can do all the editing and mixing on the NEO, but I dump the tracks from the Neo to the PC and use Cakewalk. I'm familiar with it and don't have time to learn another way.

I HIGHLY recommend the Tascam Neo. For ~$700 you can't beat it. And you can use it as a mixer as well if need be.

Just adding to the 2488neo love. I got mine a couple of months ago, and I love it. I'm still learning my way around making quality recordings, but I know it's capable of producing some great mixes; the last band I was in did all their recording on a Neo (the drummer is a big-time audio guy so he has some quality mics, pres and such) and their CDs sounded great.

Thanks for the replies, LesPaul and Ken. The Neo was the unit that originally caught my eye, and I feel like if I did go that route I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long time.

Thats exactly how i record now. The interface that goes connected to computer only has one input. So i have been using my Korg(its discontinued) but has served my well. It records in 24 bit and 16. Has 4 inputs that you can use as the same time. I have seen their other recorders and there pretty good. I know that boss has some and others but i recommend Korg. Thats how i recorded my band. Im still in the process of mastering the tracks right now. Im done with one song but it sounds really good. Of course i do all the editing on pro tools and master the tracks on Cubase. As far as micing well you have to ask specific questions. If you want to hear one of the songs that i mixed using this method IM me and ill give you the link. I cant post here yet cuz i dont have the minium post's needed to post a website on here.

I'm a big fan of dedicated multitracks over computrs (main reason being computs and I just don't get along - it always ends up glitchy and finnicky). I'll edit on a computer if I need to edit but I prefer the caveman approach of just getting the sound right while tracking as much a possible anyway.

couple things to take into account:
inputs: a lot of the lower budget ones only have 2 channels of input. this gets limiting. The cool ones have 8.
memory: big hard drive is always nice, but media cards I actually prefer over little hard drives
accessability: most will be menu driven to a point at least on some stuff but knobs over menus for stuff like EQ, aux sends, gain, etc is always nice - like a real mixing board.
fiddley bits: does it have an effect processor built in? is it any good? is it flexible like allowing you to insert effects toa dry track or is it dumb and makes you track them in line?

Tascam 2488 - really is the most feature laden one I can think of that incorporates all of the above. It's also priced accordingly though. I have seen them, used one for a couple of sessions, but dont own one myself for that reason.

Zoom R16 and R24 are both really cool as they are also 8 inputs, but kind of difficult on the interface side as its very menu-heavy. What's cool about them is that they were designed to be control surfaces as well as stand-lone recorders, the effets processor is very flexible, and they had computer editing in mind when they made them so they usually come with software too, and they are cheap.

Boss BR1600 is the other 8 input one I can think of. I haven't used one but I have used other BRs and the built-in effects on Boss stuff usually impresses me.

just my $0.02

Dougal: I've been using computers for my entire recording career, and I just feel like I'm ready for a change.

Fair enough. A change is as good as a rest. If you're going for a change and you're going to be tracking live on a multitrack and then putting that into the computer, what about getting a multitrack tape machine. You should be able to pick up a Fostex 16trk for a similar price and it would probably be more fun and a different sound. You'd need a mixer though. Worth having a little look into though. Tape is great fun and teaches you a lot about recording.

Back