Multi-Pattern Mics - Use them much?

Timmy2000

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at budget condensers at the moment (Studio Projects C1 kind of level). I see that you can get the multi-pattern B3 for a similar sort of price as the C1. My initial plan was to get a B1 and C1 but now I'm wondering if there'd be advantages in getting the B1 and B3 eg. MS recording (the B3 does figure of eight I take it?). For those who own multi-pattern mics already, how often do you find yourself reaching for them over standard cardiods?

Thanks

Tim

I have one mic with a multi-pattern setup (AT4050) but I rarely use the extra settings. If you are recording in a good room and you want to take advantage of room sounds, the multi-pattern feature could come in handy. It might also be useful for multiple vocalists or setting up an MS stereo configuration.

Thanks DWillis - I'm leaning more towards single pattern now I think. Has anyone ever tried using 2 matched cardioids back to back rather than a figure 8 for M/S. All I'm thinking is for the price of the B3 I could get 2 B1's and use them in a lot more situations.

I'm fairly new to multi-patterns (got an ADK 51ST). The extra tone variations from the different patterns are another big plus.
But having mic pairs is also nice.
Wayne

What is your recording priority? Most people feel the B series are good instrument mics and the C series are good vocal mics. I have a multi-pattern mic that does both well. I haven't used it in MS yet, but I have used it in omni as a room mic and to record clarinet in a nice room. I have also used figure 8 to record acoustic guitar--with one lobe picking up the neck and the other lobe picking up the bout. As a matter of fact, for a single track acoustic guitar recording I love that sound. Some singer-songwriters like to record vox and guit at the same time with one mic, and figure 8 does that well I hear.

Bottom line is, everybody needs several mics. Buy one, start using it, and it will communicate to you what kind of mic you need next.

I only have one multipattern (the Milab VIP50) and use the different patterns all the time. Besides MS - which I don't really like that much - a fig 8 can come in really handy for a lot of things where you want separation. For singing guitar players you can for instance place the mic so the guitar is in the null plane.

Back