msnbc.com: front page Auto Tune

The article kept saying Auto-tune is used to get the robot sound, like that's the only function AT can do. Buried at the end of the article, some producer said if it's used properly, you don't know it's there.

According to this article, Kanye and T-Pain's "artistic" use of AT is pigeon-holing it into a one trick pony.

Well I use autotune a fair bit....I think it's the way of future music now. I used it for some of the people I have recorded who have never heard of autotune....they think I'm a friggin genious...:D

Why...you didnt create the program did you?

I have yet to use the plug in...but if it come up...Ill do it for a paying customer.

I use Melodyne pretty frequently, but like the article says, if you know how to use it it's completely transparent. When I hear all the formant artifacts and stuff I know that either the operator isn't real skilled or he's trying to make it sound that way...or the vocalist was so bad that it was the best that could be done.

By the way, that's a pretty pricey Sony mic he's rapping into...'bout $8,500 if I remember correctly. Wonder why it sounds so crappy? ;)

Frank

Back