msh-PZM

superbeatballer

I just put these together today and it was really easy. I ordered two 15ft. extended lead msh-1s with capsules unhoused, and popped them into the hollowed out bodies of a couple realistic PZMs. The only tricky part was keeping the provided rubber isolation rings around the capsules when nesting them into the PZM shells.

It was well worth the 45 minutes it took to throw these together as they sound like a boundary mic on steroids now. If you have a couple sitting around, I would drop the 69 dollars to give your old PZM mic a new lease on life. Thank you mshilarious wherever you are!
MSH-PZM002.jpg
MSH-PZM001.jpg

Good project!

In fact, to make a PZM it is just enough to tape any type of "true" omni to any boundary, whether it is a piano lid, floor, wall, or corner of the room.

And remember, the bigger the boundary, the more LF response you get.

t_ebrontosaurus said:
coule someone tell me the purpose of these? they look pretty interesting, cheap and like a good little project.

thanks!
Noah
The biggest benefits PZM mics have is when you would have to place a mic close to a reflective surface. With these you actually place them on the surface. That way you don't get the close reflections (and the resulting cancellation/ comb filtering) since the mic is on the same plane.
They are also really sensitive. They are great for certain live situations. Usually for recording I could find a better suited mic for most applications.

Is this what you used?
180_X_Series_Stock_180.JPG

Are they $19.00 each.

I have a rat shack PZM and was gonna upgrade it to take phantom power but this may be a better.

timboZ said:
Is this what you used?
180_X_Series_Stock_180.JPG

Are they $19.00 each.
That is it, except I special orderded them without the capsule housings, otherwise they wouldn't have fit in the realistic pzm. He charged $38 apiece for the custom job. I initially asked if his standard extended lead mic would work, and he said that the capsule would most likely sustain damged in the process of extracting it.

In my mind it was worth the extra dough to resurrect a somewhat dismal sounding mic.

Back