msh mics vs mxl 603

tbone36109

i was looking at some stuff on the mshilarious's mics(all of them the cardiod omni and tube) and i was wondering how they sound compared to mxl 603 especially for drum overheads, i didnt really get much out of a search so i just went ahead and posted

I own a pair of the MSH-1 and MXL 603s. They are different beasts and both useful. The MSH-1 are omni, while the 603s are cardioid. I like the 603s for coincident-pair and near coincident-pair miking. For spaced-pair miking, I like the MSH better. I actually think the MSH-1 pick up my toms quite a bit better than the 603s, but they also get more room sound, which can be good or bad, depending on your room.

Of course there is a sound difference - they are completely different mics. As it is I happen to own both the 603s (matched pair, or so they told me) and the MSH mics. While the 603s can probably handle greater SPM's than the MSHs, I'd be confident with using either one as overheads. I've used the MSH omnis as room mics with great success. I've also used just one on single instruments (accordion, hand drum) and have been quite pleased with the response.

scrubs said:
I own a pair of the MSH-1 and MXL 603s. They are different beasts and both useful. The MSH-1 are omni, while the 603s are cardioid. I like the 603s for coincident-pair and near coincident-pair miking. For spaced-pair miking, I like the MSH better. I actually think the MSH-1 pick up my toms quite a bit better than the 603s, but they also get more room sound, which can be good or bad, depending on your room.
I just got some of the MSH cardioids - though I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Rest assured I will post my impressions once I do.

thanks for the responses two things though i can think of, how is the self noise volume on the msh and how does the highs compare between the two mics

oh and madaudio it would be awesome if you posted a clip of the cardiods as overheads if you get a chance i would love to hear them, and also since you are the one who recorded the overhead track on mshilarious's website can you tell me about what you signal chain drums room ect is like(and if that track uses only the msh mics or is it using a full set of mics along with msh)
thanks alot guys

For overheads, self noise is not really an issue, since you don't need much preamp gain on OH condensers. The omnis are probably a little more neutral sounding, while the 603s are noted to have a high frequency bump. Some think the 603s' are harsh, but I haven't had an issue with that, and most of my cymbals are ZBT's :eek: .

I just used my shiny new MSH1-A omni's on a quick 'n' dirty rock demo session over the weekend as overheads, just to try them out in that role - let me tell you, I am THRILLED. I got a great, lively rock kit sound with them. The cymbals sounded perfect - very present, not harsh in any way, and the kit (a cheap, old, beat-up set of Westburys) actually sounded pretty decent (new skins and good tuning helps!). I used them X-Y, so being omni's, the stereo field wasn't very wide, but that's kind of what I was shooting for on this particular session. They were fabulous!

I've also used the MSH1-A on acoustic 6 and 12-string, and I loved it on both. These are SERIOUS mics and a ridiculous price. Thanks so much, MSHILARIOUS! You smoked it!

- Jon M

Reactions: apl
...mshilarious's mics(all of them the cardiod, omni and tube) and i was wondering how they sound compared to mxl 603...
I've got the MSH mic's and the 603s. Haven't used them for drumset overheads but for other things I'd say the MSH1-O (previously called the 1-A) gets you accuracy without boosting the highs, and it's a pretty smooth sounding mic re transient response. The 603 makes things sound brighter than they really are and tends to highlight any brittleness in the source or room.

The MSH cardioid model is meant for close mic'ing loud sources, not as an overhead or room mic.

Tim

tbone36109 said:
oh and madaudio it would be awesome if you posted a clip of the cardiods as overheads if you get a chance i would love to hear them, and also since you are the one who recorded the overhead track on mshilarious's website can you tell me about what you signal chain drums room ect is like(and if that track uses only the msh mics or is it using a full set of mics along with msh)
thanks alot guys
It was just the MSH mics widely spaced in a fairly dead room. The chain was mics->M-Audio Octane->Layla 24/96. Recorded at 24/44.1. No eq or other processing. Oh yeah, and that's me playing, too!

Back