MS16 calibration question

man-bot

Quickie for the MS-16 owners out there. When you are calibrating in Repro mode, recording 10 kHz - does the Rec EQ pot provide very little adjustment of signal?

I find it may have 1 to 1.5 db of adjustment using it and it almost behaves like a bias adjustment in that as you turn the pot clockwise towards the end of its travel the signal declines again slightly. (I am not saying in any way this is adjusting bias - just to be clear - only that it behaves oddly). Audibly it appears to have very little effect while monitoring, but maybe my ears aren't as good as yours!

Just want to confirm...

Mike

If you check page 7-26 of your maintenance manual, it only talks about adjusting pot R-208 for flattening out the frequency response within a fairly tight range of a db or two.

REPRO and record the test signal with the
frequency varied from 40 Hz to 20 kHz. Read
the reproduced output levels at the proper
test frequencies during recording. Make sure
the frequency response obtained is within the
specified limit shown in Fig. 7-6-11.
4. Switch the OUTPUT SELECT switch to
SYNC, set both the REC function and SYNC/
INPUT switches to the "down" position to
reproduce the tape in the sync mode. lVleasure
the reproduced output levels at the proper
test frequencies, and make sure that the
frequency response is within the specified
limit shown.
5. If the frequency response reading is not
within the specified limit, adjust the high
frequency range through trim pot R208,
S k ohms

Cheers! :)

Okay - so this behaviour seems normal then.

I have noticed that this adjustment only affects recording in Repro - not in sync. The manual section above states checking in both Repro and Sync but it doesn't mention if this adjustment is to affect both modes. Regardless my Repro is bang on and Sync seems to be about 2 db up @ 10k... still within range.

Thanks for the clarification!

Back