MR8: Copy/move tracks between songs?

Datoyminaytah

Is there any way on the MR8 (without using a CF card reader and a PC) to move track data between songs? I can't find anything about this in the manual.

Since the MR8 doesn't have "virtual takes" for each track like some other brands do (correct me if it does) it would be nice to be able to move currently unused tracks to other songs for backup, or to swap them with other songs.

I think you could do this on a PC with a card reader, but the reason I want to do it is to be able to record more than 8 "takes" on the MR8 while away from the PC, for later transfer to the PC for final processing/mixdown.

Your questions are a bit confusing, so I'll try to answer. But if I don't really answer your question, give me more details and I'll try again.

Datoyminaytah said:
Is there any way on the MR8 (without using a CF card reader and a PC) to move track data between songs? I can't find anything about this in the manual.

You are correct that I don't know of any way to move a track from one song to another on the MR-8. But the songs have to have exactly the same tempo for this to make sense trying to do.

Since the MR8 doesn't have "virtual takes" for each track like some other brands do (correct me if it does) it would be nice to be able to move currently unused tracks to other songs for backup, or to swap them with other songs.

I am guessing you mean that if you do a take and you like it, but you want to do another because you think you can do better, can you save this take. One way to do this is to move this track to another track(MR-8 can do this), then start recording on the original track again. You can also just do a new take to another track; the only problem is that you must match the settings on the new track to the old track.

But you know the MR-8, although it doesn't have "virtual takes", actually keeps all the takes you do on the card (as long as you don't do 'undo' or 'delete unused'). I take advantage of this to do "virtual takes". Just keep recording over and over until you have enough good takes (I 'undo' the ones I screw up), when you get on the PC they will all be there on the card. They are hard to tell apart because their names are generic and there is no time stamp. I just listen to them until I figure out which is which. The thing you have to watch out for is the capacity of the card.

I think you could do this on a PC with a card reader, but the reason I want to do it is to be able to record more than 8 "takes" on the MR8 while away from the PC, for later transfer to the PC for final processing/mixdown.

What I described above is how I get multiple takes. The MR-8 also allows you to have more than one song on a card and work on them separately, but with limited card capacity I don't know how useful that really is.

DC

You read right, the MR8 does not delete takes you do over. Like I said, I take advantage of that to do 'virtual takes'. The "delete unused" is supposed to delete all previous takes of a certain track keeping just the most recent, but even that does not work as advertised. My experience is that it leaves some older takes around, probably based on how much history the MR8 actually retains.

Because of these quirks, it made the machine more powerful in a way.

DC

"alternates"

digit,

Do those undeleted unused tracks show up on the card when you pull it up in the computer? So for instance you could pull them all into n-track or CEP and just try different takes in the mix?

I think I remember mrx saying something about this a while back, but I can't find it now.

All the 'retakes' are there on the card. Look at my initial reply to the question. That's why it works just like 'virtual takes'.

DC

Back