MR8 collaboration project finished

bdbdbuck

I originally scrapped the lyrics to this song and it was my intention to have someone else write new lyrics as a part of this collaboration. Had a few express some interest, but I guess they got busy at the last minute....so we went with the original lyrics.

I had the pleasure of working with two very talented individuals on this tune. It's a song I really can't sing and I think gospel did a great job on the vocals, and clifchamb.....well he put up with me screwing things up, and did a great job not only on bass (as usual) and a drum track, but the final mix. That had to be the hardest job of all, since a few of the tracks had to be sync'd with the others.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2834&alid=-1

bd

Cool! I especially like the guitar work! I wish the vocals were a little more prominent in the mix though...they sounded good, but I couldn't really hear the lyrics because they're kinda buried behind the guitars.

How'd you guys do the collaboration? Did you just file-transfer WAV files exported from the MR-8, or can you send the track files from the card somehow?

Thanks for the listen Tom, we did it all via snail mail. It's a little slow, but neither I nor Gospel had DSL. I'm not sure how the others did it, but I transferred from MR-8 to computer and burned the individual .wav files to cd. It got off to a rocky start, but I think it turned out pretty good considering what Clif had to do to get those trax to synch. The vocals may need to be tweeked a bit....I think it's more like the guitar may need to come down a bit, especially those not-so-crisp notes that I really should have re-done. Gospel really does have a great voice. I can't wait to get the .wav cd from Clif so I can listen to it on some decent speakers. My computer speakers don't cut it at all. Right now, I can barely hear the awesome bass work Clif did. Thanks again for the review and the critique.

bd

I'll work on another mix. The vox were the biggest challenge since I literaly had to cut the track up into pieces and increase the decibal levels pieve by piece to fit the rest of the song.

The bass tough too, it was either too bassy if I turned it up enough to be prominent in the mix or it is too soft to hear.

Thanks for listening.

clif

Hey guys,

If I hadn't been on this board for a while and saw how each of you come on board, I would have sworn that the three of you got together in a studio to get this done. There is excellent synergy in this song, I've played it about 6 times already!

bd, you wrote a GREAT song with a good structure and very fine guitar playing. This songs shows your creative range when compared to the first song you posted. You definitely need to do some more; perhaps a cooperative effort with your daughter?

Gospel's a mighty fine singer. You are a much better singer than what I typically hear on the radio. You really did this song justice! I know you have been using your MR8, so let us hear more of your stuff.

clif, what can I say? You mean to tell me you did the drums and bass last? That would have been extremely tough to do, and you did a great job. The drumming, even though it is not real drums, fits the songs perfectly. Unfortunately there is not much room in this song for bass pyrotechnics, so you are essentially just holding the bottom end down, which of course you did admirably. You shouldn't be modest, the bass needs to be turned up a tad.

I really enjoyed this effort by all of you, makes me want to jump in and try something like this myself. Do you plan to do more collaborations?

DC

digitcallous said:

You mean to tell me you did the drums and bass last?

I really enjoyed this effort by all of you, makes me want to jump in and try something like this myself. Do you plan to do more collaborations?

DC

Actually BD sent me the CD with the guitar parts and vocal parts, I had to synch them up with my existing bass and drum parts which were already recorded. (BD and Gospel used them as scrtach tracks).

As far as another collab project, yes and I want to take it a step further. I can lay down tracks with MP3's so I would like to do a project done COMPLETELY over the internet by swapping high quality MP3's. The sound may not be as good and this effort but it sounds challenging. Let me know what you think.

clif

Awesome work, guys! I have Blackfoot's "Highway Song" on my MP3 list and this fits right in - I wanted the guitar solo to go on for twenty minutes at the end!

Sorry I got so tied up with stuff the first time around. How about a duet next? Hmmm, I can hear Gospel and my singer doing something in the vein of Rossington Collins "Don't Misunderstand Me"...

Digitcallous,
I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I'm really pleased with the outcome. Clif was being kind in his explanation. It's kind of a long story so I won't go into it other than to say I jumped the gun and made extra work for him. Sorry Clif.!.!
It's funny you should mention a collaboration with my daughter, that's what I'm working on now. A song we wrote together, I'm hoping to have everything ready for the vocals by the weekend....er, I guess I better get to work! I've also got a tune waiting in line, another collab with Gospel.

MRX,
I'm sorry you missed this one dude. I hope you're not too terribly upset, I was really hoping to do something with those lyrics. I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future. Maybe we do one of yours next time? Thanks for the listen....back when I wrote this thing the solo did go on forever.....I ain't much of a shredder these days. It is kinda cool knowing we're up there with Blackfoot. One of my fav's.

bd

BTW...Anyone know a drummer that would do a collab?

bdbdbuck said:

bd

BTW...Anyone know a drummer that would do a collab?

Funny you should ask, as my old drummer just called the other day wanting to do something...

Ok clif where did my voice go? It's probably just my computer speakers. Or maybe you were so shocked that a gospel singer could sing rock n roll? I'm just kidding. But, really, I'm not saying this just because it was me, but the vocals do need to come up.

As for posting some of my songs, I guess I will have to get on the ball signing up with nowhereradio. I just haven't done it yet. I sing mostly with pre-recorded soundtracks (except when I'm lucky enough to sing on a collab with great musicians like clif and bdbuck). Does anyone know if I could get in trouble for putting those songs with the soundtracks on nowhereradio? I think it is alright as long as you don't make money from it.

And as for more collab projects. You guys play it and this guy will be glad to sing it.

Good job gentlemen!

To Gospel: It's nice to finally hear your voice. Ever since you bought the MR8, I've been looking forward to hearing your vocals. You certainly have a good voice. Your vocal style on this song reminds me of Roger Waters. In fact, the whole song has a Pink Floyd feel to it.

To bdbdbuck: You wrote an amazing song. I love the chord changes. And that guitar lick is awesome. I especially liked the guitar sound around 1:38 or so. Very warm and fat sound.

To Clif: I really enjoyed the bass line and the chord changes.

We really should have more collaborations like this. This is amazing!

KF

gospel said:
Ok clif where did my voice go? It's probably just my computer speakers. Or maybe you were so shocked that a gospel singer could sing rock n roll? I'm just kidding. But, really, I'm not saying this just because it was me, but the vocals do need to come up.

Actually your voice was not what I expected, it rocks! I love the sound of your voice and I would love to have you sing on some of my songs.

This cut is just my first run of the mix, so everyone's feedback is helping me take it in new directions.

The thing I noticed about your vocal tracks Gospel is that it semmed to get quieter and quieter as the song went on. Anyhow I will bring it up more in the mix.

clif

Thanks to everyone for the listen and kind remarks.

mrx, very interesting indeed....I'll PM you this weekend.

Bizzwriter, I like the "left coast" thing.....thanks for the listen.

Knopfler fan, that warm fat sound is due largely to the awesome bass work. There's stuff in there that I couldn't really hear that needs to come up in the final mix.....just blew me away the first time I heard it. There are some parts in there where the bass and the acoustic fall into a syncopation that I really like.

bd

clifchamb said:
Actually your voice was not what I expected, it rocks! I love the sound of your voice and I would love to have you sing on some of my songs.

This cut is just my first run of the mix, so everyone's feedback is helping me take it in new directions.

The thing I noticed about your vocal tracks Gospel is that it semmed to get quieter and quieter as the song went on. Anyhow I will bring it up more in the mix.

clif

When I did a rough mix for buck I had a problem getting the vocal as loud as the other tracks. The reason is because you guys are using preamps and I'm not. The mic is a Shure beta 58 hooked directly into MR-8. I don't have access to a condenser or preamp right now. Maybe when I get some other things payed off I'll look into getting a condenser and pre. I was able, on the rough mix, to put a little endorphin on the vocal track only and really brought it into the mix. Probably a little too prevalent.
Like I said, anytime you guys need someone to do vocals let me know.

I am working on getting some Roland v-drums. When I get 'em, I'd love to hook up a collaboration project with any of you. I've been drumming for 10 years now. I drum Rock mostly but have latley been getting more in to odd time signature jazz drumming and jazz fusion. But I can do anything. I have many acoustic drum sets, but I have no mics! So when I get my electric drums, i'll just plug em in to mr8 and it will be so much easier to share my tracks with you guys.

damn bdbd, you hiding stuff from me over here in the fostex house!! This is cool man. I like the arrangement and the players. The guitar is nice and rich, good pickin. The bass sounds and is played really good clif, but it needs to come up a little more. The drums could be a little fatter and bigger. The vocal is excellent a lil more volume, gospel is the name? cool. nice work fella. I could only hear a touch of the wav adjustments around 2:20 but it went by fast.. buck, i`m impressed my man!! very!

p.s. yall excuse me for sneakin in, i aint got a fostex..but they are very good. :)

Awsome song guys... everything sounds great to me, the vocals could come up a bit though...
after reading how you assembled it, its amazing how good it turned out...

Clif you did an great job man...

Excellent vocals gospel..

Killer guitar sound and playing, bd.. what guitar/amp did you use?

very nice job...:)

Thanks to all,

Turntablist, Thanks for the offer...I'm ready when you are.

Toki, Hiding? HA! You guys are pros over there in the Forum! I do know I can count on you for the most honest critique. From now on, I'll just PM ya. I've read a pile of your posts and you've always been straight up with everyone. Many thanks here guy! Clif has already done another re-mix that sounds a lot better, and I think he's currently working on yet another. I think we're going to submit this one for the comp cd.

Kelly 5150, Thanks for the listen and kind remarks! Guitars were Ovation A/E and Ovation "Limited" both through a Behringer V-Amp. I'm really beginning to love that V-Amp. I wish I would have had something like this back when I was giggin.

bd

bd,

Make sure you catch my post over at the clinic!

Nice Job Guys!

I need more gospel, bottom end depth, and separation./.............. drum track EQ needs attention!

I'm here bd!
Ralph

Back