Mr-8

Niimo

can a full rock band be recorded at once on my mr8? If so how? Do i need any other components so successfully do so? Suggestions always welcome

yes

Niimo said:
can a full rock band be recorded at once on my mr8? If so how? Do i need any other components so successfully do so? Suggestions always welcome

you'll need a 12 or 16 channel mixer... so you can mix everything down to tracks 1 and 2 panned l/r for stereo. You need several mics. Or you can set a couple of mics in front of the group for room ambiance and let 'er rip. Neither is the preferred method but with only 2 track simultaneous recording your options are kinda limited.

The other option is a more track by track. Record drums, and perhaps bass first. Then add guitars, then vocals. Requires more setup and gear, but result can be much better.

Ed

so if i mix everything into tracks 1and 2 can i use the others for stuff like random quotes and anyother recorded sounds?

Niimo said:
so if i mix everything into tracks 1and 2 can i use the others for stuff like random quotes and anyother recorded sounds?
Yes...

(10 characters)

just so you know.. the card that comes with the mr8 by default only holds 24 minutes of audio total. back when i got it, bigger replacements cost hundreds. i think they're ridiculously cheaper now though

But can't i record a few songs and burn them right to cd. I thought i could store them as wav files in my comp too....

You certainly can. The wav manager from fostex will help you do that.
I think what was being said was that if you are recording, say, 6 total tracks (vocals, bass, guit1, guit2, maybe two tracks of drums) you will fill that card up prrtty quickly and multiple takes require space on the card unless you plan to delete all the kept takes (which is a pain).

With the MR8, it is best to plan on buying a new card with at least 512 MB on it, and you will soon want a small mixer with reamps and phantom power as well, most likely.

That said, i have had some decent sounding recording out of my MR8 lately, but that is because i've learned a good bit (and got some not-quite-crap mics as well).

Daav

i don't understand why i would want a smaller mixer? if i had a 16 channel mixer, why would i want the smaller one? sorry i'm new but whats a reamp? as you can tell i'm not really ready to record a full band, but thats why i'm here trying to suck up as much info as possible. Any tips using my mr8?

mixer

Niimo said:
i don't understand why i would want a smaller mixer? if i had a 16 channel mixer, why would i want the smaller one? sorry i'm new but whats a reamp? as you can tell i'm not really ready to record a full band, but thats why i'm here trying to suck up as much info as possible. Any tips using my mr8?
I suggested a 12 to 16 channel mixer because if you recorded the whole group "at the same time" you would need to mic everything so you'd need lots of channels.
If you do like Ed suggested and do a few tracks at a time and transfer them to PC then do more and transfer them...and so on...you obviously wouldn't need 12 or 16 channels so you could use a smaller mixer. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
if I read the specs right, you get 4 tracks simul record on the mr8hd. for only 150 more, you get more storage and maybe a few more features, but i haven't finished reading about it yet, it used to be that an extra 150 was about the price for a new big cf card, at this point, i don't think i'd get the old mr8, even tho it's only 250 lately....

you're talking about a box that came out around 3 years ago or so, maybe longer?

Niimo said:

Sorry about that, "reamp" is my lame typing version of "preamp"

If you did get a larger mixer, you would be fine. But be aware that there are two techniques being throguh around here:
1. Use a larger mixer (cost more money) to mix the whole band live and record the left and right outputs to the two inpout on the MR8, whish will use only two fo the MR8's eight tracks. The benefits are that you get everyone playing with each other and the magic that entails. The drawback is that your mix from the mixer is permanant, you can't overdub, add effects to one instument, etc. Also, bleed and room dynamics are harder to control when you can't tweak each tracfk seperately.
2. Record one or two parts at a time, each to their own track, to the maximum of the 8 tracks on the MR8 (although with bouncing and/or pushing the files to the PC and ,mixing there, you can increase te total number of tracks). Pros: You can try as many times as you like to get each part right, you can add effects and mix each track seperately, this is the "standard" method of mixing. Cons: takes more work and skill, you can lose some of the groove of the whole band playing together, etc.

So my answer was about technique #2, where you might not need a bigger (and more expensive) mixer, whan recoring just a couple tracks at a time.

Hope that helps clarify.

Daav

junplugged said:
if I read the specs right, you get 4 tracks simul record on the mr8hd. for only 150 more, you get more storage and maybe a few more features, but i haven't finished reading about it yet, it used to be that an extra 150 was about the price for a new big cf card, at this point, i don't think i'd get the old mr8, even tho it's only 250 lately....

you're talking about a box that came out around 3 years ago or so, maybe longer?

From what i have heard about the MR8HD, i would agree with this as well. Unless you got it for next to nothing, the MR8 is a bit dated.

Note as well, that this is pretty consistent for digital recording boxes, the technology improves at a very fast rate, so for a minimal investment you can get a great deal of features ( more tracks better sampling and bot rate etc). For this reason, some people elect to concentrate their investments on the front end, room treatment, preamps, mics, rack gear, whatever as that stuff tends to be consistent in value (once you get to a certiain level of quality) where the digital recording boxes become obsolete in a short time.

To me this has actually meant not following the advice above, and sticking with the MR8 for now, and upgrading my mics and positioning myself (that is, saving money) to move to a PC recording setup for my next investment in that vein, rather than moving to the next all in one digital package.

Daav

so if you were me what mics, preamps, and rack gear would you suggest? Still unsure exactly what a preamp is used for

Niimo said:
so if you were me what mics, preamps, and rack gear would you suggest? Still unsure exactly what a preamp is used for

A preamp is an amplifier that takes the relatively weak signal from the mic and amplifies it to the level that you can add it to your mix so it sounds good (and is comparable in strength to "line" level instument inputs, like from a keyboard, or even a guitar signal from a amp modeler or the like). Basically you need a preamp to use a microphone. The inputs for the MR8 has preamps built in, but these are widely regarded as extra super crappy. Basically you want a nice strong signal as early in your signal chain as you can (so righ after the mic would be ideal), but with these pre's, once you start cranking htem up, they start adding noise and distorting the signal quickly. All this means that most people using the MR8 quickly realize that to get a decent signal, they need an outboard preamp, the inputs of a mixer will have built preamps, presumbaly of better quality than those onthe MR8. I generally use my small mixer preamps and then add just a tiny bit of gain throught he MR8 preamps if the signal is not quite strong enough going into the recorder.
You can also buy dedicated micrpohone preamps, and the best add a great "color" to the signal with "warmth", " clarity" and all sorts of non specific things that you will pick up as you get into recording more and more. THe real deal folkson this bard tend to be strong proponents of nice preamps, and if you ahve the money, they can really help your signal chain.

As for mics, luckily there is quite a bit out there that add a lot to your pallette for recording that are fairly affordable. That maens that for less than say, $200 each you ahve some ooptions. Sure SM57 is a standard for many things, micing guitar amps, snare drums, even hats and toms, and some voices sound good through them (and they are very durable, and so are used for live setups alot), used can be found from $60-80. I have a pair of small diameter condensors, MXL 603s that are pretty good for a bright aucoustic sound, overheads (for drums or general room micing) and a Octava 319, the 603s cost about $75 each and the octava was on sale at GC for $70. The Octava is a Large diameter condensor and is brand new to me, but i plan to try it out on vocals and aucoustic recording etc. I have an SM58 also (essentially the same as the SM57 but more suited to vocals). Between these i have the very basics covered for most kinds of htings i want to record, with one exception, bass drum. THere are several different kind of mics for that, but the cheapest good ones are at the higher end of $150-250.

Basically, different mics help you capture different nuances of the various instruments and voices. Many can be used several different ways, the key is to give yourself options.

If you move things into a PC recording works (I use the very cheapo Ntrack at the moment) you can add effects via the sofgtware there without spending additoianl cash. Otherwise a compressor, and EQ would probabaly be your next best bets. For a beginniner, i think the route i have gone has been good for low $$ investment and plently of opportunities to mess up stuff and learn. Read these board for a bout a month straight (especially the microphone stickies in that forum) you will learn more than you can take advantage of.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

Dave that was very helpful. more than i thought i was gonna get out of ya. its so easy gettin lost in the gear. especially when you don't really know what you need. i've got a dinosaur for a comp. still has win 98 and a 2gig harddrive. Can i use it for any kind of recording purpose? i love the information.

thanks
John

Nope, you are screwed with that PC. You could potentially get a decent PC that could handle mixing etc for ~400, especially if you bought one used. Sound cards that are specificly designed for recording (not the standard PC issue soundblaster stuff that is designed for playback for gaming or video) can be had for $100-tons.

For now though, you can probably get some good milage out of the MR8.

By the way, do you have one, or were you considering getting one? I am not sure if that was detailed yet. Basically it would be a challenge to record a full band with the MR8 without a heck of a lot of experience, but it would be agreat opportunity to learn. I would just say that you would not expect the first run-through to be anywhere close to studio quality.

What is your intention with this recording project? if you simply want to spend <$500 and get a good demo for your band to get gigs and/or try to get signed or somehting, you will probabaly be much better off going to a studio. If you want to learn recording and ultimately get good quality recordings over time as you aquire gear and learn how to use it, then you are on the right track.

Good Luck,
Daav.

yup i bought my mr8 bout a week ago. i screwed around with a four track recorder for years though. i plan to get as many miles out of the mr8, i was thinking about maybe being able to mix in the computer instead of bying a mixer. thats where the comp question came from. im not gonna bore you with my pipe dreams of having my own studio, so i'll just say that i have always had an interest in recording but never really had the time, money, and drive of applying my self to it. but i am now. i've been to recording studios with my old band and had bad experiences every time. it just never comes out good enough for me. so i've decided that i wanna learn to do it myself. so it comes out my way.my next step is to get a mixer and some mics and start experimenting with recording my own band. so if you get bored and ever want to show somebody exactly how much you know, i'm always gonna read it.

thanks
john

junplugged said:

it came out around winter 2003/2004. not quite 2 years yet.

Back