mr-8 or vf80 or ?

e=mc2

Hello, I'd like some advice on choosing the right multitrack. What are the main differences between the mr-8 and vf80/vf08? I'd like something simple yet capable of professional-like results if that makes sense...
I'm also considering the vf16, my last band used two or those and it worked really well. Are they all similar in features(besides the vf16 having more tracks) and sound quality? Also, is there one thats better for mixing and effects?
Thanks in advance for your help.

the main differences are that the VF80 records onto a hard disk giving you many hours of track time, and the mr8 uses compact flash cards which only allow small amounts of track time. The mr8 however is designed to be used in conjunction with a computer to allow easy transfer of files for mixing and editing. You can also do this with the VF80 if you have the CDRW drive - you simply save the files as .wav and load the cdr into a computer.

Personally - I chose the vf80, but I still aim to do all my mixing and editing on a computer - software is so much more flexible than on a standalone multitracker. The good thing about the multitracker is its ease of use, stand alone and portability, and it works every time. Great for tracking.

However, that said, both units only allow you to record 2 tracks at a time. So, if your band wants to record live, you are going to face problems. The VF16 or Vf160 will allow you to record 8 tracks at once. Enough for a live recording.

You may also consider units from Zoom. If I had my time again, I may have chosen the Zoom MRS802-CD as it includes a drum machine and appears to be very good value for the price.

good luck

Thanks for the help, that cleared a few things up for me. I'm leaning towards the vf80 now, seems a little more flexible and the additional track time is definately a plus. Thanks again.

Users of both units seem very happy. There are times that I wish I had the increased storage on the VF, but there's also no substitute for being able to drag/drop tracks and songs between the MR-8 and a PC.

Don't overlook some older models like the FD8. You can get a used FD8 for the same price as an MR8 and have better i/o options than the MR8 and VF8/VF08. Neither of those of ADAT i/o (if that's not an issue, than nevermind!) I do like how the MR8 and VF series export .wav files. With my FD8, I transfer to the PC via ADAT. Works great, but it's real time and limited to 8 tracks at a time. (On the plus side, I can record 8 tracks at a time as well.)

I'd get the VF160. I own a VF80. Great machine. But I now wish I had more tracks, plus there are a few things the 160 has that the 80 doesn't.

The VF80/160's are stable mates and their "feel" is excellent. Very stable operating systems. I'm getting great results just using the VF80 all through to a finished CD.

You have several variables here to consider and this is not a one size fits all type of answer.
1: How big is your budget? If money is no object, have more
options to consider.
2: What type of recording are you going to be doing? Solo,
small acoustic ensemble, or four or five piece (or more)
band consisting of drums?
3: How many tracks at a time do you plan to record?

If you are planning on recording just yourself with single instrument accompaniment or a small acoustic ensemble and layering the tracks, the MR-8 or VF-80 are great choices. If you want to record more than two tracks at a time or have more than six instruments/voices and you want a separate track for each, then you might wish to consider the VF160.

I also strongly suggest you look at the equipment manufactured by other manufactures such as Zoom or Boss. The Zoom unit is a true 8-track since it offers 8 discrete tracks for tracking and 2 separate mixdown/mastering tracks. The Fostex VF-80 is basically a 6-track unit since tracks 7/8 are reserved for mixdown/mastering.

Happy tracking!

a12stringer said:
The Fostex VF-80 is basically a 6-track unit since tracks 7/8 are reserved for mixdown/mastering.

Happy tracking! [/B]

One note... you can record to 7/8, then copy/move them to other tracks. I've done this to replace original rythym tracks I wasn't happy with. Also, Boss units use data compression, and Zoom units are loaded with features, though I still think the VF80/160 feel as though they are extremely well built. Other machines sometimes feel like plastic toys.

Billisa,
That is true that one can always bounce to 7/8 and copy to add.
My reference to the Zoom in comparison to the Fostex was to those who want to record to 8 discrete tracks before having to bounce or mix. Not a significant point of difference but one which should be pointed out.
If one wants to use a drum machine, the Zoom unit has a built in unit also, which they claim does not tie up any of the recording tracks.
If one is going to invest in a Fostex VF-80 with the built-in CD burner, I would recommend they at least look over the Zoom unit first before ruling it out, since they both carry the same street price at Musician's Friend (Fostex) and American Musical Supply and Sam Ash (Zoom). Of course, for those who ask why I purchased the Fostex when I recommend comparing the pros and cons of each, I plead the following:
1: Fostex has a longer track record in building multitrack recording equipment and I have had numerous friends who have used it and recommend it.
2: The Zoom 802CD did not come on the market until after I had purchased my Fostex.
3: As an acoustic musician whose recording experiences will be limited to solo performances and small acoustic ensembles, the VF-80 is more than adequate for my needs.

I agree, the Fostex units do have a more sturdy appearance/feel in comparison to the appearance/feel of the other units. This may not be a critical issue if one is going to set the unit up in a certain spot on a more or less permanent basis. But if one is going to be moving from location to location, the sturdier unit might be a better investment. Fostex has available as an accessory a very well-padded carrying case for the VF and MD units. I'm not sure about Zoom.

Addendum
While I have directed my comments to the hard drive SIABs, that does not mean I think anyone should dismiss from consideration those which use a solid-state storage media like the MR-8.

MRX has voiced the big plus of the MR-8: the ease of moving tracks to a PC for mixing/mastering. The down side is that one must have a PC with adequate hard drive space and ram for mixing mastering and a good sound card for monitoring.

Again, the main point is there have never before been as many affordable choices as there are right now. And there are a lot of pros and cons for each unit.

And there is no one best answer because each person's needs/ recording situation will be different.

I like Zoom products... I own the RT123, and it's great. For me, I don't immediately warm to something like a drum machine built-in to a recorder. I'd rather everything on board was more directly related to recording -- compressor, more eq possibilities, sturdier controls, better burner... I can see though that having separate tracks just for beats could be very good, especially if you could put drums on them from an external machine as well.

I would love to hear some views on the different brands from people who open these machines up and can see what components are being used inside... I had heard from someone who didn't carry the line in his store, that the VF series had very high quality components from the faders on through. The feel of these units seems consistent with that.

Jeff Strong, writing in "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies," observed that setting up a home studio usually gives one a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
So far I have been able to keep my case under control.
Unfortunately, I bought his book and now I want to have more equipment: outboard FX, mic pres, better mics, a bass guitar, etc.

So far, I'm not wanting a different SIAB.

a12stringer said:
Jeff Strong, writing in "Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies," observed that setting up a home studio usually gives one a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
So far I have been able to keep my case under control.
Unfortunately, I bought his book and now I want to have more equipment: outboard FX, mic pres, better mics, a bass guitar, etc.

So far, I'm not wanting a different SIAB.

Unfortunately, "Beano" doesn't work for this kind of GAS either! It's hard to buy just a multitrack - all of the sudden you realize all of the other gear you need to use it!

Back to the original question - When the MR8 came out, I thought "$300! I can afford that!" The closer I looked, I realized that the flashcard memory didn't give you the time you need...at high resolution, if you use all 8 tracks, it gives you something like 3 minutes plus change. I started looking around and discovered that I could buy a VF80 for a couple hundred bucks more... and for a couple hundred bucks more than that I could buy a.... etc.

I ended up buying a used vf08 (on ebay) for $295 and it works great. With a 10G drive I've got 15 songs ("under development") residing on it with plenty more space. However, I would be happier with more tracks. Plus I'll probably end up buying a drum machine at some point.

Question for Tubedriver: How do you store the tracks from your VF to the computer in a format that you can do your mixing & editing there?

A few points about the MR8

It is physically smaller than the other fostex units, (this is somewhat important, to me at least).

I've heard it is much easier to use than all others, including the Zooms. Very simple menus, easily interpretable.

It is lightweight yet sturdy (I reitterate)

CF card prices continue to come down in price (albeit slowly)

Cons:

Damn that red is f**king ugly. (but you'll never be able to lose or misplace it!)

CF cards are still a relative hindrance, pricewise.

That is, in summation, all of the knowledge I have to impart.

Back