MR-8 o VF08???

jwai

hi guys,
i'm a guitarist hoping to get my songs into a CD. its basically alot of instumental guitar stuff. i was thinking of getting a MR-8 or a VF08. which one is better? i know the MR8 is newer and i've heard plenty of great reviews about it here. what about the VF08? its kinda cheaper than the MR8. can it do what a MR8 does? basically, i'm new to recording. i've just got myself drum machine. so i'll be doing everything by myself along with the bass and keyboards. i intend to transfer the songs from the recorder to the PC to burn. does the VF08 gives good results? thanks alot guys! really appreciate it..

vf08

from what i can find, the vf08 is a scsi adaptor, not a recording unit, the vf80 is a recorder which is MORE expensive the then the mr8, but has the option of an internal cd burner, the biggest difference is the internal 20 gig hard drive vs the 128 meg compact flash card, only holds about 3 min of 8 tracks on normal mode, so many people end up having to buy a bigger card, 256 meg around 70.00 and the 512 meg around 120.00. I chose the mr8 and the memory is the only downside, but if you move your recorded tracks to your pc you can edit them in n-tracks and get great results. Both are outstanding machines

Jwai, there is actually a thread on this page that deals with this very question. It's an issue that have been flogged to death in this forum. I'm sure you'll get the answer you need. :)

basically, i've already got a guitar fx processor and i'll be recording with a mic place to the amp. what does the scsi does?

As the saying goes......you learn something new everyday.
I have never seen this machine before, it looks like a nice little unit.

sorry

did a search on musicians friend, and it comes up with the scsi adaptor only, didnt find it on fostex home page either, sorry again bad day

i dont have the scsi card yet so im not sure about some of its capabilities. right now im only using spdif out (2 tracks at a time) for file transfer.

AFAIK, you can backup the unit to a zip drive, or burn CD. Export wav but to an external device as the site points out. also you must have a scsi zip for OS update.

the thing that im not sure is that, if its posiible connect it to a scsi harddisc (fat16) , which is also connected to the computer, for easy file transfer.

if you dont mind all these and improvise alot, it gives a huge recording time.

The VF-08 has been discontinued, which is why it no longer appears on the Fostex site. It has been replaced by the VF-80.
The VF-80 does have some built-in FX, albeit not as high in quality as outboard units.
The VF-80 will accommodate a built-in cd burner. It also has s/pdif coaxial in/out jacks instead of scsi.
Current price on the VF-80 is about $499.99 (w/out the cd-burner) at places like Musician's Friend and American Musical Supply. The price with the built-in cd-burner is $699.99.
The VF-80 has phantom power for condenser mics. The MR-8 does not.

As discussed in other threads, both are great machines in terms of quality. Your task is to determine which is best for you. If you want to go from recording to mixing to mastering in one unit, the the VF-08/80 would be better for you.

If, as many contributors to this forum have discussed in other threads, you simply plan to record the raw tracks and then transfer them to computer for editing/mixing/mastering, then the MR-8 would be the better choice for you. The MR-8 has a USB out port, something the others do not have.

Something you might want to check out is a new product from Boss called the BR-864, which is a step up from their BR532. The drawback is that I believe this has an MSRP of about $800, which will mean a street price of about $550 - $650, more than double that of the Fostex MR-8.

i was actually kinda interested in the VF08. therre was a few which was listed for around $300 to $350. of course, i will hope to do everything in a unit. that'll be great. but i've heard that the VF08 is kinda complicated when it comes to transfering the final mix to the PC to burn them to CD. that was a concern for me. as for the MR8, i think the USD port is really a good bonus. the drawback from what i saw was that it needs tweaking and editting for the tracks when it is transfer to the PC via USB. what program or what software will be able to fix up the tracks and master them to a final piece? any recommendation? but for the price of both the MR8 and VF08, the VF08 seemed to be a little more in ebay. i've heard of the BR864. it seemed cool especially for guitarist like me with all the added guitar features. at the moment i've got a GT6 and some other single unit effects. i'll most probably hook it up like usual, and record it through a mic placed in front of the amp. thanks for all the replies here. i greatly appreciated them. thanks alot. anymore suggestion or comments are certainly welcome guys! keep posting. thanks alot!!!

Most of the people using the MR-8 to computer are using n-tracks for mixing/mastering, which is a free download from the developer's website. N-TRacks has a forum on this website and a venture into that forum will get you the link to connect and download that software. In addition, there are lots of friendly people in that forum to help make the most of the software.

VF-08

a12stringer said:
The VF-08 has been discontinued, which is why it no longer appears on the Fostex site. It has been replaced by the VF-80.
The VF-80 does have some built-in FX, albeit not as high in quality as outboard units.
The VF-80 will accommodate a built-in cd burner. It also has s/pdif coaxial in/out jacks instead of scsi.
Current price on the VF-80 is about $499.99 (w/out the cd-burner) at places like Musician's Friend and American Musical Supply. The price with the built-in cd-burner is $699.99.
The VF-80 has phantom power for condenser mics. The MR-8 does not.
I own a VF-08 and it does have onboard effects. It also has the spdif outputs which can be connected to a soundcard that also has them. It also has the scsi connection available which can be connected to a cd-burner or to your computer (i've not done any of this however)It also has stereo 1/4" outs. I have not had much use for it these days as I use my computer to record. I may be in the market to sell her. PM me if interested. (or e-mail me direct @ dwalmz@juno.com) I paid $500 for it (a couple of xmas' ago). It's in mint condition and I even bought a small briefcase for it that it sits in perfectly.

Back