MR-8 mixdown questions

nicarp

Hi folks,

I'm new to all this, and a bit of an idiot to boot...

I have an MR-8. I've had good luck recording tracks and am ready to mix down. My two big questions are: 1) Whether it's possible to really mixdown--as in moving faders, etc.--from tracks 1-4 to tracks 7 and 8, or if I can only fix the 1-4 levels and then just let it run at those fixed levels while bouncing to 7 and 8; and 2) If I wanted to mix down onto a digital deck and then upload to my PC so I can burn CDs of the data, what digital format should I use and what do I need to look for in it? I don't think Mini Disc allows me to upload--does DAT? Any other ideas for this sort of scenario?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I just want to get good mixes of the tracks I've recorded and then onto a CD!

Nic

i'm not sure i totally understand your question...

as to part two
when you leave the MR-8, you have two choices in keeping a DIGITAL signal. You can use the S/PDIF connector and output the audio stream to the (2 track stereo) media of your choice, whether it be mini disk or directly to CD. Or, you can export the WAVE files via wave manager program into a PC for further processing.

I export directly to CD, so i dont do the bounce thing. but the fader level will affect what is bounced, so you have cotrol of all six channels when you bounce via the channel faders.

hope this helps

rm

In doing a mixdown on the MR8 you should rehearse it. In other words play the song and see what track needs to go up here or what track needs to go down there. Before I started transferring everything to my pc via USB using wavmanager, I would play a song numerous times and get my fader movements down to make sure everything was balanced before I actually did the mixdown.

If it is possible you could make things a lot easier on yourself by transferring to your pc and using some multi-track software (example; N-track) to mix with you don't have to worry about moving faders because you will have automation.

nicarp said:
Thanks, Rick--

Another dumb question: How do you export directly to CD?

Nic

I think what you are talking about is via the digital (lightpipe) out that is also on the MR8 directly into a CD or minidisc recorder that has lightpipe inputs.

mix

mix down to analog first, try your cassette, it a bunch of players to determine the proper levels of each track then mix down to cd. It will sound different when you go to different players then it does when you listen on your mr 8

MR8 mixdown

I gather from your post you want to manually mix 4 tracks into stereo by adjusting faders so some parts can be raised or lowered when going to stereo. Internally on the MR8 you can mix 1-4 like that to 5/6. Then when you have what you want, convert to a stereo wav in 7/8. Then send that to your cd burner. Or like Dave suggested, go to analog first to help with your mixing skills and would save cf card time. But the best way to go with the MR8 as you'll see alot in these posts is to import your tracks into some pc mixing software with the wav manager program you can download from the Fostex site. Very easy to use. Ntracks is a mixing program that gets lots of praise in here and runs around $50.00. Check some past threads lots of good info there also. Good luck. Pj

Thanks very much for all your help, folks--I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be asking more down the line...

Nic

Back