MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

I'm still waiting b/c nothing ever goes right...my dumbass bank changed my town name on my address b/c they are probably paying their IT staff $12 an hour instead of what I used to make in that field, closer to $20. They pushed out all the good people who refuse to accept that wage and now they got what they paid for... that's for a different thread, however. I'd rather keep on driving my school bus for $15 and know what I'm in for instead of being abused b/c techies are now a dime a doz....

Ok, so after I finally got thru to my bank, they think they're saving money also by no longer having a toll free dial in number, and only keeping it open for the bank hours, and having all automated system, I had to go thru the menu a few times and finally figured out I had to use the item, 'report a lost or stolen card,' since THEY really care about that stuff....and I got a human....

Ok, so they corrected my address and then it took 2 days to get a response from memory suppiers that they will re do the order whatever and now i'm still waiting.

just an update. I'll let you know if and when i get the &*(^&^ card and if the @#$%@#$ card works....

512mb Cf Card

I ordered a 512MB CF Card from memorysuppliers.com for $89.00 that was supposed to be a Toshiba/Samsung card, and when I received it, it was a sandisk card. They told me that Sandisk only packaged it, that It was Toshiba. They have a page confirming it to work with the MR-8. Anyway, I popped it in and it worked perfectly. Bounced it to and fro. No problems with it at all. The best thing is it only cost $89.00. 96 Minutes and problem free. Give it a shot.

Does it say Sandisk on the card? Any model number? (Wonder if it's the same one that's on every shlef in town)

Cf Card

Yea it says Sandisk on the card. Memory Suppliers emailed me and said that Sandisk just packages it for them. On bootup it says Sandisk. When I asked them about that, he just said the same thing. All I know is that it works perfectly in the MR-8. I don't know that I would try the Sandisk from the local stores though. I was pretty pissed off when I got it and it said Sandisk, until I put it in and it worked. I don't know about everyone else, but I would rather pay $89.00 vs $120-$150 for something that works perfectly.

Hold on, my Toshiba 512mb cf from Memorysuppliers just came in and it won't bounce. I just sent email for an RMA to return it.

tomleblanc said:
How much was your shipping from memorylabs.net? They want to charge me $20 for "FedEx Saver" shipping, or $18.75 for FedEx ground from California to North Carolina! It's a little tiny memory card that weighs nothing...they're nuts! I shipped a 10 pound guitar to California for less than $10 with FedEx. Where do they get off charging so much to ship a practically weightless card?! Errrrr :(

I guess thier excuse will be to start blaming the gas prices! :(

Update on my memorysuppliers cf 512mb - I sent them one email and they replied the next day, or the day after, and were ok with me having to return the card. Of course, I'm out acouple of shipping charges $11 now. They said they will send me another card.

The thing about that tho, is that I hope it is another brand like the Sandisk or the Kingston that you guys said you had no problems bouncing tracks with, becuase I kind of doubt that the Toshiba/Samsung card is compatible. More to come for sure.

Is bouncing the only issue with these slower cards, or are folks finding that playback and recording are affected, as well? Seems to me that recording a track with six others playing back is the same as bouncing (unless it's six tracks being bounced to 7/8, I guess...)

Does this card work

Hi, I just bought an MR-8, then bought a 256mb flash card on ebay, & now find out lots of them supposedly don't work on it. Does anyone know if a Dane-Elec 40X works on it? The card supposedly uses Toshiba microchips if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

mrx said:
Is bouncing the only issue with these slower cards, or are folks finding that playback and recording are affected, as well? Seems to me that recording a track with six others playing back is the same as bouncing (unless it's six tracks being bounced to 7/8, I guess...)
I think there's more data flowing and in 2 directions on a bounce. I never had trouble just playing 4 tracks on any of my collection of problem cards. But 4 out and 2 back in is the test were they failed. The latest one was only 4 tracks playing bouncing to 5/6. It wasn't even the 6 tracks to 7/8. I have a feelling tho that even 2 tracks bouncing or mixing down internally to 7/8 would be a problem w/ the limited cards.

I was able to bounce 4 to 2 in extended mode on one of the evil cards, so it just goes to show that it's the rate of data flow which I suppose is 1/2 when you're in extended mode....

Verbatim 256

Hey guys, HAs anyone tried the Verbatim 256 card? It worked great for recording and bouncing and converted to a wav file with no problems.
however, wehn I am trying to copy on my PC I keep getting an error.

ANy suggestions.
Thanks

Where is the error? at the pc or the mr8? did you ever copy to pc w/ the original 128 mb card? gotta trouble shoot a bit. need more info.

Big news here, I started looking for a compatible upgrade card and it took this long to finally get one. What, a year and a half? I was looking even before this thread back in Feb. 2003! I think I got the MR8 December 02. New bigger cf works.

I was even using a 512 on extended mode, that I mistakenly ordered.... But decided to keep it and get a digital camera, but that now has errors and I have to try to return it....

So about 3 weeks ago I ordered a 512 Toshiba - counldn't keep up on the bounce. I returned the Toshiba 512mb cf back to memorysuppliers.com and also told them that I heard (here) that the Sandisk and the Kingston were ok.

They sent me the SanDisk 512 and the MR8 displays SanDisk SDCFB- on bootup.

I bounced/mixed all 6 tracks to 7/8 and it was fine.

Now all I have to do is fill it up to test it for errors in more of the memory locations.

I'm using the 512 on normal, of course, and it's way, way better to work with. :cool:

junplugged said:
Big news here, I started looking for a compatible upgrade card and it took this long to finally get one. What, a year and a half? I was looking even before this thread back in Feb. 2003! I think I got the MR8 December 02. New bigger cf works.

I was even using a 512 on extended mode, that I mistakenly ordered.... But decided to keep it and get a digital camera, but that now has errors and I have to try to return it....

So about 3 weeks ago I ordered a 512 Toshiba - counldn't keep up on the bounce. I returned the Toshiba 512mb cf back to memorysuppliers.com and also told them that I heard (here) that the Sandisk and the Kingston were ok.

They sent me the SanDisk 512 and the MR8 displays SanDisk SDCFB- on bootup.

I bounced/mixed all 6 tracks to 7/8 and it was fine.

Now all I have to do is fill it up to test it for errors in more of the memory locations.

I'm using the 512 on normal, of course, and it's way, way better to work with. :cool:

So, How did it go? Any markings on the card that make it easy to recognized when shopping around for a CF? Does it has SDCFB printed outside or you only find out when you inserted in the Fostex?

b

SanDisk 512mb CompactFlash on front print is white on red at top and blue w/ blue wave on bottom 3/4. Back says SanDisk in red, CF and SDCFB (c)2000 SanDisk patent protected all in black, small on white.

I can't find the plastic blister pac it came in. But I think that didn't have much info either.

So far, it's still good. I've used most of it up and transferred ok. 512 is the only way to go.

I ordered from this page http://www.memorysuppliers.com/dan16cfcarre.html
and I think people got either the SanDisk or the Kingston. I got the Toshiba, had problem, asked for SanDisk or Kingston and they sent the SanDisk. But I had to pay return shipping and waste 3 weeks, so I think you're better off using that link you have.

The SanDisk page shows it's only $7 more.

Test it out and if you do have a problem like I did, at least I had no problem returning it. They reply to emails in 2 days. Good Luck.

p.s.
I see my CF label is slightly different, but that's just the front where the colors are different, and who knows if that's really the picture, I wouldn't worry about it since the co. was ok for me....

Back