here is the pic from the LEXAR card 1 GB that
work in the MR-8

Bye

Tom

Attachments

• lex1gb.jpg
    lex1gb.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 978
That Fostex email is revealing. There are cards that work for recording, and then there are cards that also work for bouncing too.

Think about the increase in the amount of data flow comparing recording vs. bouncing. Recording is only 1 or 2 tracks in. Bouncing is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and/or 6 tracks out AND 1 and/or 2 tracks in. Huge difference. 2 data paths vs. 8, a factor of 4 times the data flow.

I have a card that records fine, but won't bounce and it's on the so-called compatible list. So I got a digital camera that uses the same card format and I get some more use out of it. So before I get another card and waste more $$$ I want to know if it can bounce.

That's what you have to look for, if you want to use the MR-8 for all of it's functions.

So the real question here is: "Can your CF card bounce tracks 1 thru 6 to tracks 7/8???" Sounds like a new thread topic.

The one I bought bounces just fine, although I almost never use that option. I record on MR8 and use PC for all mix down.

Ed

Hagiwara Sys-Com

I picked up a couple of Hagiwara Sys-Com 512mb CF cards from

http://store.yahoo.com/goodmemory/compactflash-super-high-grade.html

because I didn't want to waste the time and money on getting a card that might not work. I figured that the brand that actually comes with the MR8 would definetly work in the MR8 (which it does) and when I had called Fostex, they had actually recommended these cards. They might be a little more expensive, but it is worth the comfort of reliability. Just my two cents.

With any of these cards, it's a little of a gample. I figured that I would use it one way or the other, and if worse came to worse, I'd use it in a digital camera.

When the dust settled, it worked perfectly.

Ed

Hagiwari (G-damn those are expensive!!!!!)

You picked up " a couple" of those?

GeeZeus Kriste, what the hell are you , rich?

That's 5.5 bills!!!!

Re: Hagiwara Sys-Com

pbjam said:
I picked up a couple of Hagiwara Sys-Com 512mb CF cards from

http://store.yahoo.com/goodmemory/compactflash-super-high-grade.html

because I didn't want to waste the time and money on getting a card that might not work. I figured that the brand that actually comes with the MR8 would definetly work in the MR8 (which it does) and when I had called Fostex, they had actually recommended these cards. They might be a little more expensive, but it is worth the comfort of reliability. Just my two cents.

Well, I think I'm gonna go with one of these. The web page even mentions that it can be used with the Fostex MR-8, so if I have trouble, then I can tell them it doesn't work with what they stated it should. Seems like the safest way to go since you guys mentioned the cards work w/ it and it's advertised as such, and it's same brand as stock....

I have to decide what size. the 512 mb is pricey. I have to go calculate the times again to see what i really need....

Ed Dixon said:
With any of these cards, it's a little of a gample. I figured that I would use it one way or the other, and if worse came to worse, I'd use it in a digital camera.

When the dust settled, it worked perfectly.

Ed
Well, your Toshiba 512 mb is about half the price of the Hagiwara card and if you say it works to bounce tracks 1 thru 6 to 7/8 then that's good enough for me.

Did you speak to the company or order online? I wonder if they are responsive in case I have a problem.

Don't waste your money

Please don't anyone spend more that $120 for a 512M CF card.
I found one site, Banana PC.com
http://www.bananapc.com/Products/product_info.asp?product_id=6414&classif_id=558 that has the exact model number listed for the operation confirmed 512M card made by Hagiwara/Toshiba who, btw, appear to be the same basic company or are at least manufacturing cards with the exact same model numbers. Didn't mean for that to run on like it did...
I haven't actually purchased one from them yet, but payday comes this friday.
I just got my MR-8, and I noticed that the card that came with it is one of the Hagiwara Sys-Com/Toshiba cards (THNCF128MBA.) Please don't waste your money! I also found ComputerHQ
http://www.computerhq.com/hardware/partinfo-id-32260.html
They are a bit more expensive, but anyway.
When is Fostex going to operation confirm a card larger than 512MB? I don't feel terribly comfortable using a card that hasn't been confirmed, and don't want to waste my own money on a card that might not let me use some of the MR-8's features and so forth. Anyway, get on google and search for THNCF512MBA. And if anyone can tell me where to find this model card for less than $120, feel free!

junplugged said:
Well, your Toshiba 512 mb is about half the price of the Hagiwara card and if you say it works to bounce tracks 1 thru 6 to 7/8 then that's good enough for me.

Did you speak to the company or order online? I wonder if they are responsive in case I have a problem.

Ordered online. Received card in a few days. Has worked well since that time.

Ed

hrm...

I thought about returning the cards i got from http://store.yahoo.com/goodmemory/compactflash-super-high-grade.html and buying the cheaper ones from bananapc. But from looking at my invoice from hcl electronics, the part number listed by and it's definitely not the same as the bananapc part number. The stickers on the card aren't even close to the same and there is no brand name on the bananapc ones also. It just looks like a generic card.

How did you find that page? I went to bananapc and searched for compactflash and found the toshiba 512mb card for $93. My suggestion is that if anyone is going to get a cheaper card to see if it works, at least get the cheapest one a place offers. I couldn't find the $120 one you linked to. It all seems a little shady to me, so I'm just going to keep my current cards. I'm still trying to figure out how toshiba cards and hagiwara cards are the same thing.

I probably won't be checking this forum again unless I have problems with my mr8. Good luck to the rest of you and thanks for the help.

I'm not going with Haga card, it's 2x price of Toshiba from Xtreme

Banana is $20 cheaper, but not worth going somewhere new, I'll go where Ed Dixon has link to and he said in a post that it bounces fine.

I emailed Xtreme for their return policy and if they know about the application of the card for MR-8.

**Don't go with Ridata, see my posts above for my trouble with that one.

***remember that even if some users say their card works, they may not know if it works for bouncing tracks - a lot more data flow than just recording.

my stock 128 mb cf says Toshiba on it and Hagawaira sys-com....

mr-8 512mf CF

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ed Dixon
This is what I bought:

http://store.yahoo.com/buyxg/tos2.html

Already received, and works great.

Ed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this Toshiba 512 card from XtremeGear and they sent me a Sandisk 512mb. The reciept even says Toshiba 512mb. Take my word for it, the Sandisk 512 is a negative in the MR-8!!Called them up and they said that they are out of the Toshiba, and not getting anymore in. Gave me another # to call to get an RMA. It is beginning to become a pain in the A@#!! Not expecting my money back at this point, but we'll see. Ve cautious with Xtreme Gear.com.

Anyway, I just bought a Transcend 512MB 30X for about $140 including 2nd day air shipping. Several people in this forum have confirmed the Transcend 512 30x, and I have compared the read/write speeds to some of the other cards (Simpletech, Lexar etc.) and the Transcend seems to blow them away. I'll update everyone on my experience with the Transcend once I test it out.....

B/w the 2 cards, I could have bought the super expensive Hagiwara and been done w/ it. Everyone may want to take that into consideration.

By the way, I think the Toshiba THNCFxxxMBA that is listed on the Fostex MR-8 confirmed CF list, has been discontinued. The only thing I could find was the Toshiba THNCFxxxMMA. So be careful. Does anyone know if this other particular Toshiba works.

I hope this is helpful to someone, b/c I am learning the hard way....This is a guessing game!!

Re: mr-8 512mf CF

trader75 said:
quote:
I bought this Toshiba 512 card from XtremeGear and they sent me a Sandisk 512mb. The reciept even says Toshiba 512mb. Take my word for it, the Sandisk 512 is a negative in the MR-8!!Called them up and they said that they are out of the Toshiba, and not getting anymore in. Gave me another # to call to get an RMA. It is beginning to become a pain in the A@#!! Not expecting my money back at this point, but we'll see. Ve cautious with Xtreme Gear.com.
...snip...
I'll update everyone on my experience with the Transcend once I test it out.....

B/w the 2 cards, I could have bought the super expensive Hagiwara and been done w/ it. Everyone may want to take that into consideration.
...snip...
I hope this is helpful to someone, b/c I am learning the hard way....This is a guessing game!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hell yes it's helpful, Thanks for the info. I was on my way over to the xtreme gear site just now and decided to look here for some updates. You just saved a load of more trouble.

This stuff is changing all the time. Suppliers are changing retailers are changing their stock, even within same stock the card specs change, I don't think they know what's going on. Sales probably doesn't know what Purchasing is getting and Purchasing doesn't know that the supply has canged and the supplier isn't going to tell anyone, even if they knew. I was in companies with departments like this before.

I've been holding off since my first bad experience with the upgrade cards you can look back in this thead for more from others too.

The Hagi is looking better, but I still want to talk to a human before I order, I'll go over and check that site.

I never did receive any word back from the site I emailed, I don't even remember, I think it was Xtreme....

Good post, Trader75, - J.

Next time someone raises the question about whether to buy the MR-8 or the VF-80, I will point them to this thread for one more factor which should be considered in their decision.
While this should not be the sole consideration, since a comparison of the two media would be an apples to oranges comparison, it certainly is a crucial one.

Personally, I would like to see a head to head comparisons in Acoustic guitar magazine between the MR-8 and the Boss, Zoom, Korg and Tascam units which use CF or SmartMedia cards for storage.

Back