MR-8 and CF upgrade cards - User Experiences

simpletech 512m rebate

I got a card from Simpletech denying my $50 rebate. I called the toll free number and complained, and they claim to be resubmitting it, for payment in six weeks. So first, if you get shut down, beg! Second, what are they doing, living off the interest for 6 weeks? I can't believe it takes that long to process a check.

EJ

Rebates take forever no matter what company your dealing with. I usually forget that I even sent them in until I get my check in the mail.

Ridata 256 cf card and problems

I got the RiData 256 cf card on eBay, new for $50. Package says 20x and it is listed on the Fostex compatability chart. All I'm doing is trying to bounce 3 mins of 4 tracks to 7/8 or 5/6 and I have all kinds of choppy crap.

However, now looking at the .adl file, I see more tracks listed than 4.

I also uploaded the song from pc to the original stock 128 cf card.

But becuase of the extra files, I don't have room to bounce. So now I have to figure out how to delete the 3 extra files on the card and the 3 extra entries in the .adl file.

I don't know how to do this yet. this MR-8 I'm not sure about anymore. It may be a toy. Anyone been here? -j

(sorry to revive an old thread)

The extra files are alternate 'takes'. If the tracks you are trying to bounce are all the same length (entire tune, for example), and not punch-ins, etc., then there may be a bunch of shorter wavs that you can delete (those are things like aborted takes).

Doesnt' sound like the extra stuff is the problem, though, as there's something in the ADL that tells it which tracks are "real".

You have the latest OS that is required for some cards?

For all the early interest in larger cards, it almost seems like everyone is doing the record/copy-to-PC/delete thing and getting by with the original 128.

I 'm using the latest update, V1.05. I guess since I backed up the song, I can just delete the shorter files.

I thought that if I re-record on the same track, that all of the prior wave files from that same track were ignored and the new one used as the current one and listed in the .adl file. I could see as I do many takes, that the time remaining gets lower and lower, then I delete unused, and regain a lot of it back.

However, along with the current track, maybe just the one prior to it is saved and not deleted w/ del unused. And if it is big enough, takes too much room.

I was wondering if I would mess it up if I deleted a file manually and didn't do some updating of the .adl file to tell it not to look for that file anymore. I'll try just deleting first.

I did have to reformat the card once b/c i deleted a song by pc and the remaining time never was regained.

I wonder if I start a new track at a later time, does the unit pad the front to make up the time?

Also, if I stop recording a track before the others, does it pad the end up to the end of the longest track for that song?

-j.

brunob said:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the inquiry. The price for 256MB CF card (HPC-CF256Z ) is $101.95 and 512MB CF card (HPC-CF512Z) is $236.95. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. The shipping is $10.00. We accept personal checks.

Regards,

Customer Care
HCL Electronics Inc. / Hagiwara Sys-Com. U.S.
5375 Mira Sorrento Place, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92121
Tel (858) 546-8499 Fax (858) 546-8496
http://www.hscus.com

These prices are the same from a month or two ago when I ordered my 256 from Hagiwara. I have no complaints of any sort about this card, as of yet... Nor about the original 128 which came with the mr8.

Ridata 256 20x ebay $50 No Good

What a friggin waste of my time and effort.

I can't believe I believed that Fostex chart on compatability. Or mabye I got a bad one, or mislabeled one or counterfeit or whatever But I'm out $57 and a lot of wasted time and effort.

So I'm stuck. Do I get the card tested? No, Can I return it to the eBay guy I got it from after opening and mangling the blister pack case? Doubtful, Re-sell it? I don't know if it works right, get something else and spend more $$? nope. F-it. I'm done with this s***.

Well working CF-cards

Hello,
I read all the horrorstories about your CF-cards.
I had more luck, that are my working cards:

1. LEXAR 512 MB 12x
2. LEXAR 1 GB 16x
3. Kingston/Samsung 256 MB

I tested them hard, but never got any error.

Bye Tom

Thanks for the info.

the Kingston 256, what speed?

and you were ok when bouncing 4 tracks to 5/6 or 7/8?

that's where i had trouble, so i didn't notice it at first since it records ok.

I notice that the transfer from MR-8 to PC is faster than the transfer from the memory card in a card reader to PC.

I'm using 98SE for the card reader and 2000 w/ MR-8, that may be the reason, however.

Hello,
the Kingston 256 CF card don´t have a speed factor. It is not only a question of speed factor if a card works or not. I tried faster ones (30x) that don´t work. My Lexar 1GB, 512MB and Kingston 256MB work 100%. I playback tr-1-6 and record tr-7-8. Or I can bouce tr-1-6 to tr-7-8. But I never bounce tracks with the MR-8, because I get to much internal noise from the mixer to my tracks. If one card is full I put the tracks to my Mac or take a new (empty) card.

Good recs.

Tom

Hello,
here are some P/N I found on the cards.

LEXAR 1GB P/N 2228 Rev.A
LEXAR 512MB P/N 2174 Rev.A

I hope this helps you getting the right cards.

Good recs.

Tom

Thanks for those part numbers. I'll try to get the right one this time. I'll go for 512 since I have a 256 that's not good enough.

It is good enough for recording at least one track, but I'd like it to do the whole thing.

I'm thinking of getting a digital camera and I'll use the 256mb cf card for that. So i'm now looking for cams the use cf.

I'll go over the the "cave" here and start a digital camera thread, why not. People here have good comments all the time.

Also, with the 256, I can only get one 60 minute track. Room left after one 60 min track is under 60 mins. (extended mode) And I record 2 radio shows back to back and I miss 7 minutes in between b/c it takes time for my pc to recognize the mr8 and then af ew minuutes to tansfer the data of 155mb....

heinz2003 said:
Hello,
here are some P/N I found on the cards.

LEXAR 1GB P/N 2228 Rev.A
LEXAR 512MB P/N 2174 Rev.A

I hope this helps you getting the right cards.

Good recs.

Tom

Lexar seems to make a variety of CF cards now in the 512 size. None of the ones available online have these models numbers.

Is your Lexar 512 card the yellow one with the 12x in red/white letters near upper right.

There is a piocture of a similar card here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3426959351&category=172

Most of these have a model number of CF512-12-251

Ed

Attached below is a response I received from Fostex on this subject:

=====================================
Issue: I have the MR-8. Looking for 512MB cards. Your list seems very short. Some web forums seem to show a somewhat larger list of compatible cards. Which is correct?

One somewhat related question.

Inside the MR8 there is a 50 pin connector that looks somewhat like a normal SCSI connector.

Can you tell us what this is, and if it is a SCSI connector, whether an external hard drive could be used with the MR8?

Ed

Issue #: 5332

-------------
Ed Dixon,

You may be able to use non-compatible cards if you are not performing track bouncing to track 5/6 or 7/8.
The most of the non compatible cards exhibit audio skipping problems during track bouncing.
The connector inside the CF card socket may be 50 pins, but it is not a SCSI connector, you can not connect any SCSI or IDE device to MR-8.

From Matt at Fostex
==============

Seems to say that SCSI hard drives are not going to work either.

Ed

Pics from CF-Card LEXAR 512 MB

Hello,
here is the pic of the card that works.
Bye Tom

Attachments

• p8300010.jpg
    p8300010.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 296
Back