mp3s on the net...

Salabim

should you bother copyrighting any music bfore you go plonking it up on a web page for all to access??

Tim

This is a common question here, but most people would agree that with your tune given free access to the web community it would definitely be a good idea to copyright your work. For the same price you can copyright as many songs as you want at one time. Its just good business sense to protect yourself.

I have *no* fears about posting a sample and getting input from the regular members here. Other than a few people who have come and gone pretty quickly (I won't mention any names!) the people here seem like a pretty good crowd. However, this *is* the WWW and it's open to anyone, so I'd say it's better to be safe.

I'm working with another guitarist and we have several songs in the pipeline. However, we probably won't copyright them until a) we get them closer to the finished stage and b) we have enough songs at that point to make it cost-effective to copyright them. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to get any feedback from the "MP3 Mixing Clinic" Forum for a while.

I'm curious how many people *don't* copyright their material prior to posting them here. However, it's pointless to ask that question so I won't bother. I mean, it's in their best interest *not* to admit that publicly, right?. :D

On MP3.com you can opt not to let the tune be downloadable. You can even just authorize a lo-fi version. Or you could encode it in Real Audio with a secret link for the BBS here and only leave it up for a day or so. If you've got any concerns though, just have some patience and post it when you make it legal.

Back