mp3's of new group buy 1073 & 1084

I was of the understanding that the 84 was the same circuit as the 73 with more eq and no DI.

Is this incorrect?

Haven't been around much lately, but as I recall this group buy was about ribbon mics. Isnt the 73 Vintech's Neve clone?

It's about ribbons, LDC's, SDC's, & Pre's. Pretty much everything. The biggest GB Chance has done yet. Mammoth actually..... Sorry you missed it!! The pre's are excellent!

It sounds like what Harvey is saying is that the Pres sound different all settings being the same.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Harvey, would you say that if the EQ is disengaged, that the pres would sound different or is the more flexible EQ the reason.

It also seems to be that people are saying that they prefer the 1073 over the 1084.

Just curious.

Because all parts (including transformers) are low cost with tolarences that are probably 20%+

To build a pre-amp that has a consistant sound, the parts would cost 5 times more (at least).

I hear ya. So it might not be that every 84 sounds different than every 73?

It sounds like what Harvey is saying is that the Pres sound different all settings being the same.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Harvey, would you say that if the EQ is disengaged, that the pres would sound different or is the more flexible EQ the reason.

It also seems to be that people are saying that they prefer the 1073 over the 1084.

Just curious.
Alex didn't like the bass boost of the 1073, but he did like the bass on the 1084. He loved the 1073 AND the 1084 on vocals, and he loved the 1073 for the DI as well.

Very nice... I like the songs and from what I can tell on this crappy laptop the recording was good. I will check on my downstairs monitors later.

I hear ya. So it might not be that every 84 sounds different than every 73?

Yes, just like the chinese low cost mics sound different from mic to mic. The manufacturers of high cost stuff have to maintain consistancy and they take the hit in either labor or throwing away parts that don't meet their spec. Neumann scraps a ton of mic diaphrams that don't measure up. That is a buried cost in the mic to the consumer.

Yeah!! Just got 'em today, and promptly installed them in the waiting rack spaces. I'm burning in the 1200's as we speak. I'm going to throw them up on a drum kit next Saturday for some pre-production work for a band I'm working with here in town. I'll see if I can post a clip or two. I'll use the 1073's as well.

Frank

Anyone have access to an actual 1073/1084 on the forum?

I'm dying to hear how these compare to the real deal.

Back