MP3 settiings?

rayc, Cowon media players handle FLAC (and many other formats), and are widely considered as having some of the best playback sound quality around.

Flac is nothing more than just another commercial trick, just like 192 khz.

Completely incorrect.

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an open source (no patents or other usage restrictions) compression and decompression codec. Audio compressed by FLAC re-expands into a bit perfect copy of the original uncompressed audio. No commercial trickery whatsoever. FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec

"192kHz " is also not a trick. It is just a sampling rate provided by many or most current AD and DA converters. Whether 192kHz is actually useful is another matter.

Completely incorrect.

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an open source (no patents or other usage restrictions) compression and decompression codec. Audio compressed by FLAC re-expands into a bit perfect copy of the original uncompressed audio. No commercial trickery whatsoever. FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec

You can prove this to yourself if you want to.

Take any random audio file you have. Save a copy as uncompressed wave. Save a second copy as FLAC--note that it IS a much smaller file size.

Re-open both versions in your DAW and line them up in a multitrack session. Invert the polarity of one of them--doesn't matter which then mix/render them together. The result will be a flat line of silence indicating perfect polarity cancellation which in turn proves both files were identical despite one being compressed in FLAC.

If you want a laugh, try the same thing with MP3.

You can prove this to yourself if you want to.

Take any random audio file you have. Save a copy as uncompressed wave. Save a second copy as FLAC--note that it IS a much smaller file size.

Re-open both versions in your DAW and line them up in a multitrack session. Invert the polarity of one of them--doesn't matter which then mix/render them together. The result will be a flat line of silence indicating perfect polarity cancellation which in turn proves both files were identical despite one being compressed in FLAC.

If you want a laugh, try the same thing with MP3.

Definitely trying this when i get home

Even better -- Export as flac, load again and export as wav, load again and export as flac (wash, rinse, repeat a few times if you like) and THEN invert it to the original.

Unless something went wrong, they'll still cancel out.

Here you go.

Top clip is the wave version. The middle clip is the FLAC version.

The bottom one is what I get when I mix the two together after inverting the polarity on the wave version. (It works equally well inverting either of them).

As for multiple wash and rinse cycles, I'm bored today but not THAT bored--however I'm sure it'll work.

FLAC-test_zps0013f6f7.jpg

I ended up buying a colorfly C3 player.
·Independent PA DAC
·Fourlayer Immersion Gold PCB
Supported audio format:
WAV:32-48KHz 8-24bit
FLAC:32-48KHz 16bit
APE:32-48KHz 16bit
MP3:8-320Kbps
WMA:8-448Kbps
I bought the simpler, newer version for AUS$90.
The bells & whistles version is AUS$600+ as well as being much bigger.
The cheaper one has a very simple screen built reading file names & not displaying vids etc.
The travel controls are not part of a touch screen which pleases me.
Touch screens on anything are really cool and rather temporary in my experience.
It only has 4gig built in & can be augmented with a crd to a total of 8 Gig which I'll need if I'm using FLAC & WAV but thaht's fine. I do't intend downloading my CD/LP collection to it - just the stuff I'm working on or want to listen to whilst on trains, boats & planes or when I can't sleep at night.
I'l have to think about new headphones for this thing once I've properly test driven it.
I don't use ear buds - but the 'phones I've been using are less than good (nifty in that the band goes around the back of the head so I can wear a hat when out of doors) but better than the buds I have but don't use (I don't like the feeling or the sound).
IF the audio quality is as described it'd deserve a little better at the end of the line.
Nice demo Bobsy. I was a FLAC sceptic for ages (well, until I bothered to do some research) but am a convert.
Not much FLAC hardware in Oz is there! Not much demand for quality either for that matter. Most people I know (think that I'm crazy) are happy with 192MP3s.

Easy to convert wav files to mp3, as stated previously, just meet the requirements for whatever website you'll be uploading to.

Back