MP3 Impact on Music and the Industry

DM60

Probably not the place, but couldn't figure out where to put it. Not sure if this has not been posted before, but I just thinking about the subject and well, you guys are the only nerds I know who would even think about the subject.

I first started using MP3s back in the late 90's (96 when the patent was issued). Even though it may not be the best format to listen too, you have to say, it has put the music business into a tail spin. I've never heard anyone talk about how this one format has changed so much. I hear all of these innovations throughout the last century, but to me, this format has been the most productive/destructive I have ever witnessed or read about.

Just an interesting observation. Thoughts, comments, needs to be moved. I would be interested in reading what you think.

It's been discussed here before.

yeah, big changes. MP3 has defined "those who can hear the bad sound" and "those who can't hear the bad sound". We ignored that issue with cassettes because of the convenience of little tapes, and today the issue is largely ignored (except for us!) because of the convenience of portability.

MP3... 16/44.1 320bps..

is it destructive to scratchy consumer level records, or minidiscs or cassettesssssssss probably not any worse.
theres been times I recall hearing music on a beautiful higher end system, whether its vinyl, cassette or protools wave playback on $8000 speakers.

I say kill MP3 off, and let the Marketing guys out of the Asylum's once again, and bring Waves 24/48 or more...to everything.

That way I can leave my stuff in wave files and not mess around with down grading.

Waves 24/ 48 :thumbs up:

Back