MP3 icons

windowman

I'm sure there must be a simple way to correct this but I've looked under options menus for both Windows Media Player (my default MP3 player) and CE and neither of them say anything about it.

The thing is that whenever I save a file in CE as an MP3 it gives it a CE icon. So if I go into my music folder and click on it, it'll automatically come up in CE in order to play. Well, of course I'd like all my MP3 files to come up in my default MP3 player. Maybe I did something to cause WMP to stop being my default? It sure don't say anything in options that will make it the default player again. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way I'm saving the file? For instance, there are options for setting the "privacy", "copyright", and "original" bits when saving in CE. I really don't know what the heck those do. Could one of those dodads make a CE icon when saving?

Anybody got a handle on this one?

Thanks ~W~

open your "my computer" screen...
Up top... goto View... Folder Options...
The Right most tab should be "File Types"

In here is every file type and what it opens with.

Experiment.

Find the mp3 file type.

Change it to whatever.

experiment and learn.

xoox

Well, I could change the icon that way but I wasn't sure how to make it actually open with WMP. I know there's a browse feature for that but I wasn't sure where to browse and was afraid of screwing up my system. There's gotta be an easier way....

type the path to winamp.exe in the "opens with" box. There isnt an easier way... because this way is VERY VERY easy. You can do it!

xoox

Windowman,
What version of WMP are you using? I've got V7 (this method will probably work with earlier versions too), and all you need to do is click Tools (on the main menu) then Options..., then hit the Formats tab (at the top), and scroll down and check the box next to MP3 Format Sound, then hit the Apply button, then hit the OK button.

Queue

Back