MP3 Hosting question...

BobOC

Hello, folks...

It's been well over a year since I posted any tunes here...getting back in the groove and have a few songs I'd like to share.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a free hosting site? I noticed that nowhereradio.com is not accepting any new artists, and I'm having trouble getting things to work at IUMA.com.

Thanks...

BobO

Thanks for the offer, NL...I just found a site that's only $7 a year for 15 songs. Took me about ten minutes to set it up and it's working great. Will post the link in another thread. Thanks again!

You know, for $10 a year you could have your own hosting site....That's what I did.

www.soundclick.com
is a wonderful free host. You get unlimited uploads. 5megs up to 128 per song. High and low band streaming. A message board. Great supportive(several hundred thousand a day) community. Exellent responsive support staff. Photo uploads and more. I pay $10.00 a month for thier premium package which includes an advertisement free completely customizable band page, flash animation, mailing list, demographic breakdown, and a larger mp3 capacity. Check them out. And if you want to see a premium page.... www.soundclick.com/thebluehumours

That's not too bad...The normal soundclick pages stink. (I think) Hosting is SO CHEAP anymore, I don't know why you wouldn't just get your own site, then you have TOTAL freedom........,

Your own site is great for direct marketing to folks that you personaaly inform about it, but you don't gain access to people that are just "browsing" unless of course they accidentally type in your name in a search engine and it finds your site. The advantage to soundclick and other sites is the acess to an already established customer/user base. You also don't have to fuck with site maintenance or be too compoooter savy. I would like to have my own site eventually, but I'm gonna keep my soundclick page even then. There are some terrible badly maintained hosts out there (clear channel, bands411), but I have had a very positive experience with soundclick. I also use garage band, but it requires a great deal of community participation if you don't want to pay.

Thanks folks...I appreciate the feedback.

This site I'm using (musicV2.com) seems to be pretty cool - I just stumbled upon it by accident!

True...can I ask you a question? This is not meant to slight soundclick, I am genuinely curious. Has Soundclick really helped any bands popularity? I still believe in the old school self promotion thru gigging and word-of-mouth.

I was just tossing out a suggestion for people who want to post MP3's to this or other sites for critique, or to share with friends/family/mailing list. It really is SIMPLE to set up a hosting site. Less than 5 min's. I am just talking hosting, no actual web site.

stupid question

this might be a stupid question, but what's the difference between "hosting" and "website"? I got a mate who will design a website for me, but what else do I need. is it $10 a year to host a website of your own design, and then you wouldn't have to pay anything else? I have a regular soundclick page currently (cos it's free and better than nothing), but I'm looking at setting up my own site as soon as I can - what should I be looking for?

Hosting is where your site or info sits...it has to be on a server somewhere, that is hosting. You can have a site hosted, just files, or both. You pay for the amount of storage and bandwidth, as well as many other features. You can get a pretty good chunk for $10-25 a year. You can even have your own email address, etc.

Just to host MP3's is SUPER easy...like I said, about 5 min...it would work like this -

Point,click,play...no Soundclick BS. No external player, no navigating thru a site (unless you want one). Total freedom!

thanks

ok, thanks. now, next question - what if I wanted a site to navigate to put some info on about my music, plus the mp3 hosting. that would still be $10-$25? or does it depend on "traffic"? what is traffic? is that how manmy people visit the site or how much they download or what? also, there's a sperate charge for getting a domain name, yes?

as you can tell, i'm kind of new to all this . . . :o

Domain name is $7 or less a year - some hosting packages offer it with thier package. It would cost no more to have a site, unless you pay to have it designed. If you can make a document in word, you can make a simple web page. "traffic" is the amount of data transmited - MP3 hosting would consume MOST of your bandwidth, the only other big item would be large picture files, or video files. The actual site would consume very little.

Things you need to get a website:

1. Hosting. You need somewhere to put your site so it can be accessed from the internet. Some are free and crappy, some are cheap and very good. If you have a broadband internet connection with a static IP address you can host your site on your own computer (you would have to keep the PC on 24/7 though)

Things to consider when buying hosting:
1. Webspace. How much space for files will the host give you? This includes the website files (images, html etc) and anything else you store on the server.
2. Bandwidth. This is how much traffic the host will allow to the site. Say you have 500mb bandwidth per month, and you have one 5mb mp3 file hosted. That would mean the mp3 could be downloaded 100 times each month. (simple example but yeah). This doesn't include the web site traffic, but since your html files would only be a few Kb then it's not much to worry about.
3. Optional extras. Things like php scripting, mysql database, frontpage extensions etc. These aren't required but are nice. (I couldn't use a host that didn't give me php and mysql)

2. The site. Are you using the host just for mp3 files or do you want some nice pages for the visitor to view? You can design these yourself using word (shivers), Frontpage Express (free), Frontpage (expensive), Dreamweaver (more expensive) and others, or if you know html then you can write them in notepad or any other text editor. (http://www.tabarchive.co.uk) was written in notepad, uses stylesheets and a lot of php and mysql.

3. (optional) - Domain Name. This is the address the user types in to get to your site. A top level domain is something like (http://www.tabarchive.co.uk) or (https://homerecording.com). This costs money (very little) and many hosts will incorporate the domain name into their hosting price. Without a domain name your web address might blow up to something like (http://server2.web-mania.com/users/tabarchi).

I got my site hosted with web-mania.com because they had the best price/features for me at the time. They are based in the UK, so it ends up costing me a bit more for the currency conversion (damn banks).

Not a bad deal, do you get add-on domains?

Nick, I get about the same deal, for $25, with GREAT support, they helped me get everything set-up, and answer all my questions via IM in real time, almost all the time. You might check them out as well. You can get info by emailing - email@dartworth.com I knew NOTHING before I started, and he walked me thru everything, real good guy.

Good Luck.

NL5

hey thanks for the suggestions - that sounds like a good deal NL5, even though I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the support from down here in lil' NZ. I think I'll try some local places first (when the sh** hits, I want someone to talk to), although there seems like some good prices out there. . .

muchos gracias guys

Back