MP3 file size envy

ashulman

Are there different types of MP3 formats you can convert to? The files I post all have small file sizes when I compare them to files I see posted of similar time lengths. I am beginning to feel inadequate.

Size don't mean nuthing. I've had plenty of women tell me that, between chuckles.
The quality of your tune is what matters, how you use your tools.
If your songs sound good, your cool.
Don't look at the other guy with envy. He may be staring at yours and wishing his MP3 was small too.

A reasonable MP3 encoder allows you to determine the proper balance between file size and sound quality. All other things being equal, a larger file will sound better. You make the tradeoff by choosing the most appropriate encoding rate. Higher rate = bigger file, better sound (to a point).

I usually go for 192k- which will be about 5MB for a 3 minute song.. Generally no one will complain about that. I personally feel you begin to lose too much detail below that.

You have bear in mind that with a lot of peoples' dialup connections, more than 5 or 6 MB's and they'll likely go look for another song to download, or they'll just be very selective about who they'll generally listen to. It's a shame, but it's also a reality.

Back