mp3 encoding questions

tmoberly

Hi all,

I have 2 questions about creating MP3's that I hope someone here could shed some light on....

1. How do I get the song title, author, artist, etc. information to display in Windows Media Player when I create one of my own MP3's? I generally use bladeenc or CoolEdit to encode my mp3's, and there does not appear to be a way to include this info in the mp3 file itself. However, I've seen other artists mp3 downloads that display this info. Where does this come from?

2. How do I configure my web site or encode my mp3's such that someone can download and listen, but not do a "Save As"?

Thanks for any help,
-Tim

Hi Tim,

Most of the MP3 hosting sites have options you can configure so that folks can listen, but not download. If it's your own personal site, then I don't have an answer.

When you figure out how to get your name and song to come up on your MP3s in Meda Player, let me know too. Songs I had posted on MP3.com did display the tune and artist (I assume MP3.com took care of this), but those posted on IUMA and Soundclick don't.

Good luck!
Ron

my 2cents. I also use CEP, and I don't know how to include the file info when encoding, but if you get a free application from

www.winamp.com

(just an mp3 player) you can bring the song into the winamp window and right click on it for "file info"...a little screen will pop up that'll let you enter the ID3 information, and it reads it in MediaPlayer, (and other apps, I assume, but definitely in MediaPlayer).

You could also download a tagging program if you have a bunch of info to add at once -- it'll save you the trouble of typing in the same artist name +album name, etc in every mp3. Google "mp3 tagger", there's a million of them.

edit: just noticed that someone else addressed your 2nd question already. Ignore what was here. Note to self: read the thread before posting :)

Hope this helps.

travis

PS- While you're at google, do a search for the "lame" mp3 encoder. It'll likely sound much better than what you're currently using.

to get the name and stuff on my MP3's i just right click on the file and click on 'properties'. then click on the Summary tab. click it to 'advanced' and it gives you a bunch of stuff to add in.

hope this helps,
T

I just sent this in an e-mail to the author of that article:

Using an M3U file to point to an mp3 is NOT streaming. It is refered to as DLAPB or 'Download And Play Back'. If the player supports this, it will wait until enough of the file is downloaded into a temporary location on your hard-drive, and then start playing it back. Streaming however buffers a small part of the data in memory (never touches the hard-drive), and plays back from that. A fair portion of streams also contain copy protection mechanisms and encryption.

The biggest issue that this presents is there is zero copy protection, and the file exists on the drive of the person who played it.

There is dozens of free streaming alternatives available. RealSystems barely makes up 1/10th of the pile.

W.

Cakewalk Pyro

Cakewalk Pyro is a good program for making MP3's and is easy-to-use...has a place to add info to your files. Always wondered though, if someone else with a similar program could download tunes and change the info. Is encrypting something different in that info would stay implanted in the file?

Back