Moving to PC setup

taylorguitarman

I've been using workstations for a while now (currently using an AW16G) and I've liked the all in one nature of them but it's always been a hassle to do editing on them or transferring to my PC for editing (I know newer ones can do this now).
I'm a computer geek so I've got a pretty good PC setup built and I'm looking at moving to a mixerless setup. I've got some good budget external pres (Sytek and DMP3) and I've been thinking about going with an Audiofire12. For the most part I just record myself playing acoustic guitar and occasionally some vocals but I would also like the ability to do small groups as well (up to 4). I'm wondering if I'm better off spending the money on a nice AD/DA or if the Audiofire is adequate for my budget studio. I like being able to monitor with a few effects and I've had issues in the past with latency on the PC so I'm thinking that I'll use the direct monitoring of the Audiofire to feed into external effects for tracking and then add plugin effects during the mixing (or track the wet and dry versions) or even send the monitoring outputs to my 16G and use that for the tracking mix.
I've also got an Audiophile2496 in the PC already.
The Audiofire12 seem a bit overkill for my studio but I figure I may grow into it.

Back