Moving out of the basement - starting our own recording studio in Minneapolis, MN

xander.moser

Hi everyone!

So, I'm finally making the jump from the home studio to a commercial recording studio. I have started a business with a few friends of mine, and we are renovating a building in Minneapolis, MN. We have all been working as freelance engineers, and decided to combine our strengths (and equipment) and create a creative facility of our own. We all have day jobs (most of us as A/V techs), and we won't be relying on this to keep food on the table or anything. Just looking to create a community of engineers, producers, and musicians who can have a place to collaborate and express our creativity. And then looking to balance our facility costs with the studio income to at least break even.

We have the building, we are finalizing the plans, and have launched a KickStarter campaign to help us get up and running quicker.

Has anyone else here gone through a similar venture? I'd be grateful for any insight or advice!

You can check out our website here: TreeSpeak Recording Studio

And our KickStarter is here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/treespeak/treespeak-constructing-a-recording-studio

Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks guys! And thanks to our friends and a few bands we will be working with in the near future, we already met 86% of our goal and have some new work lined up.

Kickstarter is a great opportunity in that it forces you to do some target marketing, helps raise funds in advance, gets new clients, and gets the word out to the community. I would recommend it if you are doing a similar venture.

Once we get our building permit and start construction, I'll post some updates here. Since our build is a renovation, there will be a lot of similarities with home studios, so I'm hoping our experience will help others!

Back