Moving jumpers to set levels of DAL card?

scapegoat

I'm thinking about getting the digital audio labs "Card Deluxe" sound card and I was reading the review at pcrecording.com. In the review under the "suggestions" they posted this:

Suggestions:

"I initially thought it odd that the user must use jumpers to set the playback/recording levels at either -10dB or +4dB. This may prove inconvenient if the user has a mix of professional and consumer equipment necessitating removal of the PC case to change these settings. As explained to me by Digital Audio Labs, they feel that using software-based gain settings results in signal degradation. Hence, the hardware jumpers on the card. I would suggest that it is feasible to use dip switches that are accessible from the exterior to accomplish this same task. Thus, the user would not need to remove the PC case."

Can any of you help me explain what this means? I kinda have an idea what he is talking about but I just need some more help on elaborating. What is considered to be consumer and professional? Why the two different playback levels and which is which? Thanks a lot for all your time...peace.

Hi

-10dB is consumer and +4dB is Pro

once you set your jumper to match the eqiupment your recording from you wont need to lift the lid again

set it at -10dB then you set the software gain where you ears tell you to..usually before the distortion comes in ....+4dB will give you a much higher gain thats all

Tony

Back