Moving instrumentation and vocals to separate subs

BibleMan

I have many songs with multiple instrumental and vocal tracks. It would be be nice to be able to solo just all the instruments or all the vocals, as well as bringing all the vocals up or down relative to the instrumental mix with a single fader.

Is this possible in Sonar 2.0XL? If so, how?

Thanks so much.

:D

-BM

If you right click on a control - goto the group menu - you can group together sliders and buttons. You can assign all your vocal volumes as group 'A', all the vocal mutes or solo's as group 'B' etc.

Grouping is available for almost every control in Sonar (at least track and console view).

good luck!

There's a lot of useful information about that in the help file. I just recently read that (like a true 'tech nerd' I never read the manual, hehehe :) ) and I discovered an immense amount of tricks and features. The grouping and automating possibilities are insanely broad. Check it out, you won't regret it (and your RSI developing arm will love for it: one click and 16 volume faders move to the right, 6 pan faders vice versa, while at the same time 3 other tracks are getting muted. Woohoo!)

as well as bringing all the vocals up or down relative to the instrumental mix with a single fader.
Another approach to this is to establish a second VMain. Since the Mains in Sonar are "virtual", they can be assigned to any output you want. Therefore, for ex., you can set up a VMain A and assign it to Soundcard 1/2 Out, and then set up VMain B and also assign it to Soundcard 1/2 Out. Then assign your tracks so that the vocals all are routed to VMain A while the Instruments go to VMain B. Now the VMain A fader controls all the vocals, and the VMain B fader will control all the inst's.

The only downside to this is the meters will no longer reflect the entire mix. Therefore you could have clipping of the mix occuring but not be able to see it on the meters.

However, the upside (versus grouping the faders) is that you still have individual control over each track without the tedious task of having to ungroup the faders. Take BG vocals for ex., you can use the track fader to control each individual voice in the mix, but the VMain fader to control the BG vocals in total versus the rest of the mix.

Torpid-x:

Great tip. I love this one and will use it lots.

Dachay:

I can see uses for this one as well. Can you tell me....Are the VMains available via Track View? I HATE Console View.

Thanks all. Once again, outstanding information, shared timely.

:D

-BM

BibleMan said:
Can you tell me....Are the VMains available via Track View? I HATE Console View.
Why Soitenly!

At the bottom the of the track view window, just to the right of the All/Mix/FX/IO tabs you will see a little square icon. Clicking on this icon will create a verticle split in Track View screen, with the VMains and Aux Busses showing in the lower half portion of the screen. Clicking the icon again will toggle it back to the original view.

Just like any other Windows window, you can change the size by placing your curson on the split bar and dragging it up or down.

BTW, anyone who looks at Console View in Sonar should have their eyes poked out. :)

Paul881 said:
Ouch!....why has it gone dark? Who turned the lights out?.....:rolleyes:
You haven't been doing that thing in the bathroom again, have you? Didn't your mother warn you about this?? :eek:

Back