Moving away from Pro Tools

JB's Studio

I've been a Pro Tools user for the past two years. I'm currently running M-Powered v 8.0.4 cs2 on a Windows XP machine -- didn't get Vista because I already had PT and Avid didn't support it. I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM (which is what 32 bit systems recognize - I have 4 GB), dual SATA drives, and the rest of the "required by Avid" list. The MB can handle 8 GB Ram.

I'm getting tired of the DAE errors that pop up from time to time where PT automatically disables certain plugins due to "insufficient buffer size" and I'm looking at the buffer set at max, and its lack of support for ASIO drivers, which is what I just figured out is the problem -- some VI plugs default to ASIO so when you use them they use the M-Audio ASIO driver, then when you open a project without rebooting Pro Tools gets its panties in a bunch. I've lost work because of this crap. Yes, I finally set the drivers to Direct Sound so Pro Tools can smile again.

They did fix the ASIO thing with PT 9. However that requires an upgrade to Win 7, which for me means a backup and reformat of the OS HD, clean install of Win 7, and reinstallation of all the software and stuff that's on the system HD, plus a reinstall of anything that happened to get put on the Data HD.

IOW this is not a cheap update: $350 for PT 9 + $300 for Win 7 Pro + $170 for 8 GB Ram (just to make it worth while) + $150 to have the shop do the above = $970 + tax just to upgrade to PT 9 = so not happening.

But honestly I'm getting tired of this. I can't use elastic audio in a project with more than 4 tracks because I don't have a $5000 computer. So I'm looking to move away from Pro Tools. NOTE: I do a lot of beat mapping and use VIs.

I'm looking at Presonus Studio One Pro. The crossgrade from Pro Tools is $300. I know there's going to be another learning curve. I know there's a lot of people that are going to say "Reaper". I don't know what Reaper comes with and if I'll have to buy a plugin bundle on top of it -- I'm expecting this to be the case since they don't mention much besides the very basic stuff on the site.

So has anyone used Studio One? If so what is your view of the product?

Why in Heaven's name do you think you need a $5000 computer?!? If you need a custom PC you can have mwave.com build it for $80!!! If you don't know how to do this shoot me a PM with your budget and I'll be happy to help.

As an example the SKUs below document a Intel i7 2.93GHz / 8GB RAM screamer running Win7 x64 Pro with a 128GB SSD (Drive C/ OS and sequencing software), 1TB SATA (Drive D/ data), DVD RW (Drive E/), GeForce GTX 460 display adapter, packed into a Lian Li case with a 650W power supply, keyboard, and 19" LCD monitor for $1,900 sans tax and shipping.

SKU: ASSEMTEST,SKU: BA36226, SKU: AA75762, SKU: AA75235, SKU: BA47390, SKU: AA78001, SKU: BA42047, SKU: AA76364, SKU: AA76395, SKU: AA98518, SKU: AA97414, SKU: BA24312, SKU: BA40014

Last edited:
Back