Movie on Vocal Technique

dbsoccer

Ok. so this may get whacked but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Years ago, I recall watching a film, a drama, that was centered around a young woman who, as I recall, was in a bar band. A vocal instructor, while out drinking, saw the band , saw potential in her and, somehow, got her to take vocal lessons from him. He was a bit of a drinker, someone who maybe was famous once but now down on his luck, but he knew how to teach vocals. They had a tumultuous relationship. This woman worked with him for weeks and weeks. She got frustrated because he never let her sing a song - just drills, technique, technique, drills, day after day. Then finally she got to sing and, of course, she sounded like an angel. And everyone lived happily ever-after. Donald Sutherland, or someone like Sutherland, played the alcoholic instructor.

Does anyone have any idea the name of this movie? My recollection of the details are weak but I do recall her frustration, their relationship and her finally getting to sing and sounding like a true pro. I apologize for posting it in this section but I didn't see one more obvious. Thank you!

I was not familiar with 'A Star Is Born' so I looked it up. There are some similar bits in the plot but I don't believe it is the one. The one I'm thinking of is more focused on the alcoholic coaching a raw talent into be a potential star. The plot is more about the vocal teachings. And I don't believe the teacher and the student had a physical relationship.

But thanks for the suggestion. I may go watch 'A Star Is Born' now that I see what it is about. I'd heard about it in the past.

Was that one of the remakes of A Star Is Born?
I don't think it's that.
I remember reading the book many years ago {in the 70s} and thinking the name of the band in the book {Something like the John Norman Howard Speedway} was so stupid. I liked Barbra Streisand in the film though.
The original film is emotionally hard to watch.

I watched about 5-10 minutes of the Gaga remake before I got bored. Reading the plot synopsis of the film (every version of it, honestly), it just seems utterly uninteresting to me.

But it kinda vaguely resembled what dbsoccer was describing. So if we figure out what that film is, I know to probably skip it too! :D

VHS, I would not blame you. :) I don't recall it was a academy-award-winning level film. I just remember how the focus was on the ugly front-end work of technique and, only then, did the student get to realize the reward which was a beautiful voice.

This is pretty close but way too new. The one I'm thinking about was based in the US. I can't believe there are so many movies that are so similar. Thanks!!

Any other info you can provide? Roughly the era that it was likely made? When did you see it? Anything else? I'm genuinely curious now. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Rigoletto is close. The film I was remembering was US based. And the young woman was a lead singer for a bar band. Thanks for your idea!

Bingo!! I need to watch this again. Hey thank you flyingace! Peter O'Toole, Donald Sutherland??? Sort of similar, one could argue. Both great actors.

Thanks again!

I want to see this movie now, I love both Peter O’Toole (My Favorite Year is one of my favorites) and Jodie Foster. Looking forward to it. Peter O’Toole truly is in a class by himself, maybe only next to Sir Richard Harris and Sir Richard Burton in ability to be a highly functioning drunk playboy! Ha ha!

Back