Mouse in my Monitors :(

gordone

OK, this might seem weird to folks, but my old studio was in the basement of our rental townhouse. A few months ago my wife told me we had a mouse in the basement. So I go to the hardware store and get the little boxes with the blue pellets and place them in the basement. Within a couple of days the pellets are more or less gone from the box (I didn't eat them!) and then a few days later the whole place smelled like dead mouse. Since we were renting and had just purchased our first home we didn't mind too much, and the smell went away within a week.
Flash forward to last night - I was unpacking my studio (now to be setup in a bedroom in our house) and I took one of my Tannoy Reveal Actives out of the box and I heard a rattling noise. My first thought was loose parts/screws/etc..., but there was quite a bit noise (think maracas!), so I flip them upside down and start shaking. What do you think comes out of the hole in the back- (no it wasn't the mouse), the blue pellets!!!!! So I shake as much out as I can but there's still a bunch in there. I take a flash light and I see what appears to be a clump of "dust" inside the cabinet. My wife thinks the mouse made this his little nest, and he would bring the pellets in there, and that he may have died in there, but now he had distentegrated into dust bunnies (don't ask how my wife knows so much about mice!)

So my question is - How do I get all the pellets out? There's a couple of funny screws on the speakers on the back of the cabinet. There's also a big shock hazard warning on the cabinet. Now I was running the speakers at the old place when the pellets (and possibly dead? mouse) were there and I didn't notice that anything was particularly wrong with the monitor, in fact I even kept them powered up 24/7. I'm probably going to call Tannoy today but I figured there must be someone out there who had a similar critter problem in there studio.

Thanks!

Ha, that is a funny story. Your monitors must have made a nice warm cozy home for that lil guy.

You can usually take the woofer out, and that might be the best way to get inside the cab. I dont know, but there is probably (hopefully) wood between the amp and the inside of the speaker, so trying to get in that way may not work...

As far as decaying mice... your wife is right, they turn into a fuzzy dust bunny with bones. I would apply a little bleach to the spot where the mouse decayed.

Call Tannoy, see what they say.

No Rodent mics in my studio! Thanks for chiming in folks, I agree with Gunther in that it is a funny story, I might just leave the pellets in there if it's too much trouble to get out, I'll just make sure I power the monitor off when I'm not working.

Garry Sharp said:
This is a common problem for people who use RODE NT microphones:D

To clarify, the "pellets" are the poison pellets, not mouse droppings! I sure wouldn't be leaving mouse droppings in my monitors! They don't smell at all, so as long as no one goes in and eats them, I'm not too concerned (I don't have any pets or kids, and I don't think my wife would bother!)

Back