Mounting the Mic's Shockmount to Boom Stand

dj Happee

OK, i just got my AKG C3000 Mic yesterday. Do i need an adapter to mount my shockmount to my boom stand?

I tested this mic out at the store and loved it the most (out of all the mics under $300).

Any thing else about this mic would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same mic and the shock mount that came with the C3000B threaded onto my boom with no problem. I'm not sure why you would need an adaptor.

BTW, I really like the C3000B for vocals although users on this board seem to strongly favor the AT4030.

DHN

thanks

That's really good to know. One more question...

My mic isn't working right now. I have it hooked through my mixing board. I'm using an XLR to 1/4" cord to plug it in. I take it is not working because the phantom power needs an XLR to XLR cord to power the mic right?

I think you're right. I have a Mackie 1402vlz and set it up as you described. I couldn't get any signal using the XLR to 1/4". I usually use XLR to XLR so I've never noticed that before.

Well, good luck.

I just got my brand new C3000B in yesterday.

Mine had some sort of an insert or adapter screwed into the shock mount. I had to take a screw driver (actually a butter knife) and screw it out. After that the shock mount threaded right onto the mike stand.

Zeke

Right. Many european mic stands apparently have 3/8"-16 threads at the top, instead of the US "standard" ultrafine 5/8"-27 threading. Yup: 3/8"-16 UNC. Farmer-bolt coarse threads. Why it's not 10mmx1 (or some wierdball Whitworth threading to please the BBC) is *completely*beyond me. Anyway, a lot of European-sourced mics therefore have those screw-in inserts in the mounts to allow them to work in either Euro or US venues.

Don't ask me why the Euro stands have inch threadings. It's a complete puzzlement. So is the 5/8"-27 thing: don't get me started on _that. At least they aren't tapered, like pipe threads, which are the only other place that 27-threads-per-inch are found in nature...

I have like 50 of those inserts. The ones you want are the nice Neumann ones that are extra-long and have the knurling at the base so you can remove them without using a butter knife (or a dime). I carry 4 of those in my toolbox, just in case I ever find myself doing live sound in a venue that has those Euro stands. I've been carrying them since 1977, and I've _still_ never seen one of those stands in the US. AKG supposedly sells them here, but you couldn't prove it by me...

Back