Mounting a piezo pickup

Scottgman

Legend in Own Mind
I've got a Takamine acoustic with built-in preamp and piezo pickup. I recently had to replace the preamp because I was getting distortion and because the volume fader quit working.

Well, after installing the new preamp, everything works great except I'm still getting distortion sometimes if I strum too hard or make a sudden movement while playing. I took off the bridge saddle during my next string change and discovered that the piezo element is just bouncing around under the bridge. I believe the piezo element is supposed to be "mounted" so that it cannot move and this is likely the source of the distortion. However, I cannot tell how it was "mounted" from the factory as there is no sign of adhesive or anything else that would keep the piezo element in place.

So obviously, I need to re-mount the piezo element. I've been googling the topic and have found various suggestions (two-sided tape, silicon, putty, etc.) but I'm not sure if these are good ideas or not.

Anyone know how to do this "properly?"

Last edited:
Hmm. every under-the -saddle element I've seen is just in there, not glued down or anything.

Did you replace the jack when you replaced the preamp?

From what I understand, the slot in the bridge needs to be flat so the pickup sits flat and the saddle rests flat on top of that. I would think any kid of goop under the pickup element would really affect the acoustic tone, which depends on a solid contact from bridge saddle to the top.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Interesting. That would explain why I cannot tell how the factory mounted the element. Also, I didn't replace the jack with the preamp.

Now I'm wondering if the piezo element IS the source of the distortion. This sucks.

Try replacing the jack. It should only cost a few bucks, and you needed to replace the preamp anyway, because of the volume control problem.

Plug it in first and wiggle the cable to see if that is the problem.

You tried a different cable, right? That might be the problem.

ps- alot of those jacks are closed-frame, meaning you can't see the contacts. On an open frame jack, you can bend the contact tabs to tighten the things back up.

You can also try making sure that the saddle is flat. I had to sand mine down on one accoustic to get a decent sound. The Piezo element is not glued in. If you just push up on the wire, it will probably just pop out. If it quits working or changes, after you change the strings, your saddle is most likely not seated in properly. The piezo is sandiched in between the bridge and saddle. The more presure there is on it, the better it will conduct the vibrations. So make sure there is no dirt between the bridge and piezo, and make sure the saddle is flat where it contacts the piezo.

Back