Motu's 'Audiowire' and 'FireWire'...compatible/the same??

superspit

idiots unite!
Hi people,
please, your experienced feedback is most welcome.

Just got (actually, about to receive) a Motu 1224 Core system with the older PCI324 interface card...(which will probably prove to be another issue altogether!)

I am not getting the proper 'AudioWire' lead with this unit (not included for some reason), so my question is...will the standard 6 pin 'firewire' lead,(which I hope is readily available) be compatible with the rack to the pci324 card??

It seems similar, but that's only from looking at the pics of it.

Oh, while I'm here, I may as well tell you that I'm currently running (and very happy with) a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MB with core Duo.

I liked the variety of older slots and newer slots this MB had to offer.

I'm currently running 2 Delta 44's and a Gina 8 out very nicely of it....but it's quite a combersome set-up....thinkin' one rack with with 8i/o (plus the Gina's 8 outs) will be very nice.....if it farking works!!

Still, I guess the lead compatibility is the main thing right now.

Thanks people.

The 324 card is not compatible with your motherboard, or any motherboard made in the past 2 years. You need to get a 424 card.

The 324 card is not compatible with your motherboard, or any motherboard made in the past 2 years. You need to get a 424 card.

I'm surprised it's not more like five or six years, but yeah, it's safe to say that the 324 is uber-legacy as hardware goes.

I believe (from memory) I had them working on some Opteron boards from about 2.5 years ago, but that was the last I can remember of them working.

I had to buy a replacement wire for one of my MOTU units and a regular firewire cable worked fine.

Yeah, same as RME's HDSP cable. They and MOTU both use Firewire cables so they're easily replaced in the field. Much better than the proprietary cables from Echo, M-Audio and the like.

I found out (via reading the specs) that my new MoBo's 'old PCI's' are rated at/compatible with both 3.3volts and 5volts cards.....I don't know if it actually 'signals' at both voltages.
Probably explains why my old Delta's are still working, even though they've been in at least 3 different machines, over the past few years.
It's pretty sneaky and cheaky stuff going on with so-called standard PCI format, as I read forums from over the years.
Still, I'm getting this little tingle that there may be a chance of the pci324 working on my machine.....and equally expecting it to fail miserably!
Wish I did this research prior to bidding...geesh I'm a knucker head!
I'll just keep looking for one nice analogue I/O 8-12 channel interface.
Bit sick of using 3 cards just to get the 8 ins and 16 outs....
Then again...it does work pretty good......oh sheeeet! (confused).

Thanks for letting get that out people!

yaaaaay!....as if by coincidence a PCI424 (PCIX) card came on line.....for 200 buck....It's on it's way...so I'm sure to get this thing working!!

So I got the 1224 core system, with 324 card and 424 card for $380....I don't think that's too bad...and I bought a standard firewire cable (6 to 6) tonite for 10 buck.

I'm pretty happy with that!...just wanted to share that with you.

yaaaaay!....as if by coincidence a PCI424 (PCIX) card came on line.....for 200 buck....It's on it's way...so I'm sure to get this thing working!!

So I got the 1224 core system, with 324 card and 424 card for $380....I don't think that's too bad...and I bought a standard firewire cable (6 to 6) tonite for 10 buck.

I'm pretty happy with that!...just wanted to share that with you.

Enjoy, you will like the MOTU and might be able to sell your old gear.
If you need help, feel free to PM me.

i dont think the 324 card will fit because its not keyed two cut out in the bottom

and its proberly not wise to try it seen as they are voltage pins.

crossing pins in a pc is bad (i know once i accidently bent a pin on the memory slot .......bang goodbye pc..........!)

UPDATE ON MY NEW Motu 1224 Installation.

i dont think the 324 card will fit because its not keyed two cut out in the bottom

and its proberly not wise to try it seen as they are voltage pins.

crossing pins in a pc is bad (i know once i accidently bent a pin on the memory slot .......bang goodbye pc..........!)

Thanx mate....I'm not into crossing pins.....So I've installed the PCIX 424 card, (the doubled slotted one for universal operation, ie:both 3.3 and 5 volt/signalling)....all fantastic!

The 324 does fit, but doesn't like my modern system. (3.3 AND 5volts signalling).....works great in the older setups I have though....so it's going on ebay!

Excuse me if I've got something wrong here, but I've just started studying all this stuff on a 'needed to' basis, as I'm getting into the Motu gear!......

Now...to find a compatible Motu expander unit!!....

more i/o......more...........bwahahaha!

I LOVE MY 1224...IT WAS THE EASIEST THING TO INSTALL & SET-UP EVER!
I guess a bit of research paid off........and it seems to blow my Delta cards out of the water!

Back