Motu896 output noise during reamping???

BBad199

I'm going nuts. I can't figure our for the life of me why the noise floor goes crazy when I plug a xlr to 1/4 cable from the motu device to my guitar amp.

1) It does this with the Motu Off or on...so I know its not software.
2) I've tried 4 different cables
3) I've tried to run the signal to a preamp jumper and 1/4 to 1/4 back the amp
4) I've looped from the channel 3 output to the 4 input without problem so I know the signal is fine...

Its like the signal is somehow changed in the motu before its sent out. Why won't this work?

I used to run a audiofile2496 by reamping the left stereo signal and recording with the right stereo signal in much the same way and I never had this problem.

HELP!!!

BBad199 said:
I'm going nuts. I can't figure our for the life of me why the noise floor goes crazy when I plug a xlr to 1/4 cable from the motu device to my guitar amp.

1) It does this with the Motu Off or on...so I know its not software.
2) I've tried 4 different cables
3) I've tried to run the signal to a preamp jumper and 1/4 to 1/4 back the amp
4) I've looped from the channel 3 output to the 4 input without problem so I know the signal is fine...

Its like the signal is somehow changed in the motu before its sent out. Why won't this work?

I used to run a audiofile2496 by reamping the left stereo signal and recording with the right stereo signal in much the same way and I never had this problem.

HELP!!!

I have the same unit but I have not tried reamping from the Outputs of the MOTU. Have you tried changing the switch on the back of the output that your using on the MOTU? They can be configured for +4/-10 and since your guitar amp is NOT a balanced input, you should have it set to -10. Give it a try and maybe it will help increase the SNR.

Tim

You can't re-amp directly from the MOTU. The output level is based on +4 and most important, the impedence is about 600 ohms. The input to an instrument amplifier would be instrument level which is WAY lower and its impedence is around 1 Meg ohm. You'll have to do some impedence/level matching if you want to re-amp with no noise.

Back