Motu Mtp Av

cortexx

someone help me before I smash this piece of junk with a 5 pound sledge hammer.

connected to my LPT1 port with a good cable.

made changes to LPT driver settings as per instructions.

clockworks installed and a parallel port driver .

if I refresh the device it flashes all the led's on the MTP

if I start clockworks It sayes the device is not connected or turned on.

I cannot for the life of me get this piece of crap to work again, was working fine before I reinstalled windows on my computer.

If I got to the setup midiport it sees it as a "pc flyer portA" and "PC flyer portb" .

Someone please help me before I commit mass destruction on this thing and go buy an edirol product instead.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

before I smash this piece of junk with a 5 pound sledge hammer

Oh go right ahead. Thats what i did with mine. Worst piece of garbage hardware i have ever owned on a PC. Getting it to work correctly was akin to launching the space shuttle.

Try your computer bios settings... your parrallel printer port sounds like it's not set up for bi-directional communications... The MTP responds to the computer... but the computer can't find the MTP

If you've got a printer handy... you can test with that...

Well I yanked it out of the rack and removed and cable and bingo , my kids rabbit who occasionally escapes had chewed through the cable. :mad:

I swear to god that rabbit is getting closer to the slow cooker each day.

I'll repair the cable at work today and test the unit , it should be ok but thanks for the suggestions anyways ;)

cortexx said:
my kids rabbit who occasionally escapes had chewed through the cable. :mad:

I swear to god that rabbit is getting closer to the slow cooker each day.
Still got that 5 pound sledge handy...

repaired the cable but it still wont work.

time to replace ....

any suggestions as to what to replace it with ?

How about a MOTU MTP AV USB...

Seriously... I have no problems with mine... I use it as a clock master to run ADAT sync to a Mackie SDR and MOTU 2408, as well as word clock though a half dozen digital rack components, and TDIF to a pair of Tascam digital mixers ...

It can get a bit flakey when I power up... but once synced, everything stays solid...

In all honesty I'm not using half the features of the MTP , I just want a Midi hub capable of running around 10-12 synth modules.

I do use a MOTU 828Mk2 for line inputs and dont really use the live features of any of this gear at the moment.

The word clock function is not really essential for me atm.

I do not like this unit particulary , it has always been a bitch to use and setup not to mention un-intuative front panel interface. The manual that I had to buy because MOTU will not supply PDF documents on their website is more along the lines of supplying basic info to a gazzilion languages rather than giving decent in depth info in English. Unfortunately this has been the case with alot of manuals lately since most companies try to make everything multi-lingual.

A phone call with MOTU pissed me off , they are the most arrogant , unhelpful , "oh you dont use a mac?" type of people I have spoken to so i'm looking for a different product. Price is not reallly an issue, functionality and good tech support is plus web resources are also invaluable.

cortexx said:
that edirol thing has been discontinued for a long time and no one has stock , i tried to buy one 6 months ago :(
go to your GC, they often carry or can get ahgold of a unit. My GC had a nice emagic amt8 I got at a good price.

You're right Cortexx, I can't dissagree with anything you said as far as setup... MOTU drivers have been notoriously bad in windows up until USB was added (which is a shared standard with Mac)... and yes their support for PCs is a joke... I went through great pain learning and understanding the interface... (both MOTUs) but honestly feel that what they offer for features just can't be matched by many others... In my particular case... the 2408 is about the only stand-alone option for routing, mixing and clocking SPDIF, ADAT, & TDIF in one box... I still recommend it... but only if you require all of the features...
And I've got absolutely no problems with the quality of the interfaces...

The LED screen on my 828 II has burned out after three years. Unit still works, most settings are accessable by software, but I'd probably look at other companies if buying again.

Like motu better than I like ardvaark, but...

-Jtt

You should be searching for midi INTERFACES, not controllers. And most if nto all new ones will support USB.

cortexx said:
well i spent a few hours doing some research and it seems like there are very few rack mount optiions for midi controllers at the moment. Maybe it's because many MIDI instruments now have USB, I don't know :confused:

I looking at using a couple of these in a rack

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/UM3EX--Main

any feed back on them ?

If you ask me... a midi interface... is a midi interface... they work or they don't... most all of them are pretty much the same until you start adding additional features... which you're not interested in...

Do you really need 8 ports... are you doing extensive routing between individual devices, or you just looking to get all of your midi signals in and out of the PC... You can get by with a one port midi interface if you use all eight channels of the one port...

An eight port port interface actually provides you 64 channels of bi-directional midi communication... this is more than most require...

Back