Motu 896 vs. Aardvark Q10

wes480

I have a Q10, which works ok for me...

but there are some features of the Motu 896 that I think are attractive. I'm considering getting one to work on a new project I'm starting..

My question is, the Q10 is often touted as having a very good Word Clock (the AarkSync or something) that (even though i don't really understand this) supposedly makes a big difference in the sound.. The 896 does have a World Clock, my question is whether or not the clock in the 896 is as good as that in the Aardvark?

And overall, if the unit sounds a lot better...or has other advantages. Obviously they are pretty similar units, 8in, 8out..which is all I need. I'm probably fine sticking with the Aardvark really...

-wes

I think maybe the MOTU is a little better, just a little, but then again they've had problems with driver/windows support. Also that is a firewire unit, as opposed to your current pci card unit.

If you want to use it for it's portability and that is a must, then yea sure. But other wise i don't think it would make that big of a difference. Build up some good stand alone pre's and get an RME multiface hammer fall and then you'll be a few steps up and then some.

Back