motu 828 mkii

TFranklin

The Motu 828 mkii looks great; however, I heard that there customer service was extremely poor. Is this outdated information? Also, is this
unit optimized for Windows or Mac? I'm running OSX with Cubase SL 2.
Any advice or myth busting welcome.

thanks...

Pretty much a myth. All the experiences I have heard of with their customer service have been good, and they are very active in releasing improved drivers freqently.

As far as mac vs. pc, it seems to be about even support for both. I use it in a pc environment, but I also used its predecesor the 828 in a mac environment and it was fine there too. The AudioDesk recording software it comes with is Mac only, but Cubase is much better.

I think you'll be quite happy with it...

Motu 828mkii

Thanks for the info. I've been very careful selecting my components and while there's no perfect solution, it's paid off with a stable system that fits my needs. I have often compared opinions here and found it to be an excellent source of the "real" story. I appreciate your input. Would you be willing to take a look at a logical PDF layout I put together? I'm still not done obviously and would appreciate any input you might have.

ttyl...

I havnt had any problems with there customer service. Drivers seem very well up to date. But then again ive never had to call there customer service because i havnt had any problems.

Danny

Home Studio Design

As you can see, I've been wrestling with the mixer part of my studio. I have all of the midi equipment, computer, and software. Now I need to finish the audio setup. Looks like the motu might temporarily end the need for a mixer? Have at it......

thanks...

Attachments

• Music Studio Design.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 62
Motu 828mkii

darnold said:
I havnt had any problems with there customer service. Drivers seem very well up to date. But then again ive never had to call there customer service because i havnt had any problems.

Danny

That's what I like to hear...

thanks

The only problem ive had with the 2408mk3 is sometimes (like 1/100) it doesnt initiate on boot up. But i think its more computer related then motu and it just takes a quick reboot to fix.

Danny

Motu 828mkii

Here is a modified version of my studio logical drawing. I think this the direction that will work for me. I was wondering, my HHb CDRW of course will record CD's at 44.1KHz. Can the MOTU be set for 44.1KHz? The HHb says it will convert automatically, but that's alot of math for a recording device. Just wondered if there other choices besides 48KHz or 196 on the MOTU.

thanks...

Attachments

• Music Studio Design.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 37
Are you planning to run out of the insert channels? Is that what that diagram is showing?

It would probably be alot easier and better quality to use the 8 Direct outs on the board. They are only on the first 8 channels. But if you need to spread it out then you can use the sub channels for out puts into the 828 mkii.

Danny

The sampling rates on the 828mkII are 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz.
So .... yes, you can run it at 44.1kHz.
It's a great interface IMO ... I'm quite pleased with mine.

TFranklin said:
As you can see, I've been wrestling with the mixer part of my studio. I have all of the midi equipment, computer, and software. Now I need to finish the audio setup. Looks like the motu might temporarily end the need for a mixer? Have at it......

thanks...

Yeah, you basically wouldn't need the mixer. The Yamaha sampler and drum machine's line outs can go straight into the Motu's line inputs. The two XLR instrument mics could go into the Motu's 2 preamped inputs. Would you really even need the MidiSport since the Motu has Midi ports? In the diagram you mention (but do not show) a Firewire 410. Where does that fit into the system?

sile2001 said:
Yeah, you basically wouldn't need the mixer. The Yamaha sampler and drum machine's line outs can go straight into the Motu's line inputs. The two XLR instrument mics could go into the Motu's 2 preamped inputs. Would you really even need the MidiSport since the Motu has Midi ports? In the diagram you mention (but do not show) a Firewire 410. Where does that fit into the system?

I would be replacing the firewire 410 with the MOTU. I don't own either, just trying to decide. Looks like the MOTU is superior in about every way for not much more money...

TFranklin said:
I would be replacing the firewire 410 with the MOTU. I don't own either, just trying to decide. Looks like the MOTU is superior in about every way for not much more money...

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I have an FW410, but I upgraded to the 828 and it is freaking unbelievable.

Back